• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny not going to the toilet

xx_lora_xx

New Kit
My rabbit is 11 weeks old, we've only had her a week but on Monday I noticed that she hadn't pooped as much as she had been before. She's still eating fine and drinking plenty of water,
I took her to the vets Tuesday and she was given an injection to get her digestive system working again and I was given some recovery powder to mix with water and syringe feed her. I took her back Wednesday and she had another injection to help her digestive system. The vet also felt her belly and said she coudln't feel anything such as a furball but she could feel a lot of poop.

Today when I checked in on her she'd done some but not as much as she should be but again she's eating and drinking fine, plenty of fresh hay and grass from the garden.

We were not feeding her fresh greens as when we bought her we were told not to until she's at least 6 months old, but since this has happened we have been feeding her fresh grass, dandelion leaves and occasional peices of apple.

She did eat some newspaper the other day and I'm wondering if this could have caused the problem?

I was just wondering whether there is anything I can give her to help her get rid of the poop she's building up inside her?

(Vet also said she's otherwise healthy, she is the correct weight for her age and breed and there are no other problems such as mites or teeth or anything)

Any help would be appreciated, I don't know what to do with her :(

Just out of interest where did you get your bunny from and what kind of bun is she? we got some mini lops 4 weeks ago and the breeder told us the same, no greens until they are 6months old, Sootie went into Stastis last week and it was touch and go but he's fine now :), the vets told us they strongly disagree with no greens and they can eat grasses and dandelian leafs.

I got her from a pet shop and she's a dwarf lop. She seems a lot better today to be honest but she's not eating as much grass and hay and prefers her pellets (she doesn't get much more than an eggcup full a day). She's still drinking but spends a lot of time stretching, think she's a bit lazy to be honest :p

It was the vet that gave her dandelion leaves the other day. I've had rabbits before and they've always been fine with greens from the second we took them home but I thought I'd follow orders :p

Glad to hear Sooty is ok :) How long did it take for him to get back to his usual self?

Coco isn't acting any differently to be honest so she doesn't seem too bothered, just wanted to help her along a bit if possible :p

We took Sootie to the vets last Tuesday, we were told he may not make it through the night:shock:, we had a week of taking him to vets in morning and him staying there all day and me looking after him through the night, by the weekend he was on the mend :), he is much better now but I would say he is still not 100% not as bouncy as Molly, but he is eating drinking and putting up a fight when I give him his meds:roll:. but I would much prefur that to a floppy Sootie. Have to take him back next week for a final check up, he is out in hutch again but I bring him inside at night. So frightening the whole experience. Hope Coco is ok and Poo's soon.

When was the last time she pooped? Could she be going somewhere where you can't see?

If she's definitely not pooping at all then she could have an obstruction in which case she needs a vet asap.

She is pooping, the last time I saw was about 2 this afternoon but it doesn't seem like a lot. I've cleaned out her cage this afternoon so it's easier to see when and where she's doing her business and there was a fair but just doesn't seem enough.
The vet said she wasn't worried about an obstruction but she could feel a lot of poo in her by feeling her belly.

HI

i am currently dealing with my own bunny who is recovering from gut stasis. She went floppy and was grinding her teeth alot [in pain] and sitting hunched. She was rushed to the vet and they kept her there for 48hrs because she wasnt pooping and they feared she had bloat too was eatting and drinking but no pooping or weeing.

Alex is back home now but we are still having to give her pain relief everyday . An injection three times a day [gut stimulant] and another two medicines which i think are also to help her stomach get moving. She is back to her normal self but it is still important to keep an eye on her in case she stops pooping again.

You say your vet said she could feel poop which is a good sign but what pain relief / gut stimulant is she having? Also you could try tummy massage to try and help her. [if she likes it]. Also my bun isnt interested in eatting much pellets at the moment but as long as she keeps eatting greans and hay then the vet said it was ok.

Hope your bun starts pooping soon.

I'm not sure what the stimulant was, the vet didn't say what it was and to be honest I'm not too rabbit savvy when it comes to medication. She's currently not on any pain relief as she seems quite happy and not in pain which I'm taking as a good sign :)

Just had a look in her cage and she appears to be going underneath her little shelf where it's dark and we can't get her, perhaps she just likes her privacy :p

It still doesn't seem like a lot of poo but at least she's going, I'll keep watching her for any change but so far the dandelion leaves, grass and the supplement I'm feeding by syringe seems to be working :)

Also she does seem to tolerate a tummy rub but I'm not sure whether I'm actually helping by rubbing it for her or exactly how I'm supposed to do it....

Hope Alex is feeling better soon, sending her lots of bunny love :)

Back