• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

crystalised rabbit urine

louise_8910

New Kit
My femaie house rabbit Lola - is approx 2yr old, she developed a small lump under her chin which was found to be an abcess - consequently 1 week ago she had all but 2 of her teeth removed :( she is managing well eating crushed up pellets and veg but has obviously not been herself since. She finished her course of Metcam on Sunday and has since been suffering from urinary incontinence (very unlike her) - her urine is yellow still but fowl smelling and contains large areas of crystalised substance. She never has been a big lover of water but since her opperation I have been giving her extra water and liquidised food via syringe. I contacted my vet for advice - on top of the £180 I have already paid for her opp they want a further £40 for a consultation and medication!!!
Is there anything I could do on my own at home?

so she only has 2 teeth left? :shock:

I've never heard of that before, how on earth does she cope? :(

What veggies are you feeding her, as if its whitish, it could be calcium/bladder sludge from too much calcium?

My femaie house rabbit Lola - is approx 2yr old, she developed a small lump under her chin which was found to be an abcess - consequently 1 week ago she had all but 2 of her teeth removed :( she is managing well eating crushed up pellets and veg but has obviously not been herself since. She finished her course of Metcam on Sunday and has since been suffering from urinary incontinence (very unlike her) - her urine is yellow still but fowl smelling and contains large areas of crystalised substance. She never has been a big lover of water but since her opperation I have been giving her extra water and liquidised food via syringe. I contacted my vet for advice - on top of the £180 I have already paid for her opp they want a further £40 for a consultation and medication!!!Is there anything I could do on my own at home?

If your rabbit is suffering from a new condition, albiet it could have been brought about by the changes from her surgery it's only reasonable for them to charge for the consultation and medication as it needs further diagnosis/treatment.

I'm with Graham L in the shock re the teeth, no so much that she only has two teeth left but the extent of the work she has just had done - it sound a lot to have had done all in one go :? Unless of course this is just one more surgery in a rabbit with a history of problems.

There may be things at home you could do to improve the situation but I'd have no hesitation in paying for further treatment as her urinary tract may have been compromised by the stress her body has been under - especially the possibility of infection - which you can't deal with at home. I'd say get her to the vets ASAP because whatever is going on might just be the start of something that's better dealt with quickly before it becomes a serious problem and she sounds like she has quite a bit to cope with already.

Last edited:
She has her 2 back teeth on one side...poor thing! She manages well, she can't tear or bite into things but if cut up small or crushed she manages to get food onto her mouth!
I'm worried about her, she's went from being very friendly - following me around the house, sitting on my lap and scratching at the fridge door for food! To sitting behind the settee and only coming out when coaxed.
She eats rocket mixed salads - spring cabbage - sweetcorn and broccoli. Along with oaty cereals, raisins and fruit (squashed down bananna and soft pear)
bought a vitamin liquid to mix in her water to ensure she was getting all the essentials.

My femaie house rabbit Lola - is approx 2yr old, she developed a small lump under her chin which was found to be an abcess - consequently 1 week ago she had all but 2 of her teeth removed :( she is managing well eating crushed up pellets and veg but has obviously not been herself since. She finished her course of Metcam on Sunday and has since been suffering from urinary incontinence (very unlike her) - her urine is yellow still but fowl smelling and contains large areas of crystalised substance. She never has been a big lover of water but since her opperation I have been giving her extra water and liquidised food via syringe. I contacted my vet for advice - on top of the £180 I have already paid for her opp they want a further £40 for a consultation and medication!!!
Is there anything I could do on my own at home?

It sounds as though your Rabbit now has a very nasty bladder infection and this will require antibiotics. She needs to be seen by a Vet again today. Left untreated she could become very ill indeed and it could involve her kidneys being permanently damaged.

I would get her back to the Vet this afternoon
Good luck.

Back