• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pebbles stopped using litter trays

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Hey uh not sure where to post this but Pebbles is no longer using the litter trays that Rosie always uses.

Usually the main area that is filled with hay (the meshed side) is where they sleep, eat, play that kind of thing. The bedroom side is the toilet and it has their litter trays. Past week or so Pebbles has started going to the bathroom all over the meshed side of the hutch. Usually I would leave that hay for as long as I could for bedding because it never got dirty and I wouldn't need to buy as much hay every week, so saving money. But recently I have had to change the whole hutch out whenever I do a clean and it is taking a lot of money.

Just wondering what you guys think I should do. Should I not put hay in the meshed side??
Thanks

Firstly I'd get her checked out by a Vet. Any change in litter tray habits can be indicative of a health problem.

My two have started peeing anywhere but their litter trays :( so any i'll be checking back for any advice, cos i've tried everything and nothing is working!

Alright then, he is eating just as he usually would.

Something has me wondering whether Rosie isn't letting him into the bedroom area or something. I Never actually see him go in there so maybe that's the case

Can the partition come out? I have a plastic sheet over the hutch bit for protection from the wind but the run is on the front and covered too so that makes it more wind safe. Even putting plastic sheeting over the one half of the mesh bit. She won't be able to stop him go in then :)

Or get a small litter tray and put that in the main bit for him. It might be the hay too, he's sees the hay, he eats the hay, he toilets on the hay because that's what he knows to do.

Could be anything though :)

Just to say he would use the litter trays and also one corner in the back of the meshed side of the hutch.

But now he goes where ever he pleases but still pees in the corners. Also I have noticed their litter trays aren't filling up as much as they used to so I am wondering if Rosie is also using the main area as the toilet now.

Is it the way I am cleaning out their litter trays? I use watered down vinegar and maybe the smell is making them want to change their toilet habits :?

Just to say he would use the litter trays and also one corner in the back of the meshed side of the hutch.

But now he goes where ever he pleases but still pees in the corners. Also I have noticed their litter trays aren't filling up as much as they used to so I am wondering if Rosie is also using the main area as the toilet now.

Is it the way I am cleaning out their litter trays? I use watered down vinegar and maybe the smell is making them want to change their toilet habits :?

Possibly, what I do is disinfect every other day :) the litter tray isn't smelly or anything :lol: but I thought it would help if it smelt of them. If they've weed more though I will clean it whenever but it's usually every other day :) just a quick spray and wipe, then every week it has a good spray and scrub :) works for me :)

It's a bit odd though, I agree with Jack's Jane, that or he's stubborn! If you still need to take them for their vaccinations then you can ask the vet :)

Yeah I will keep an eye on them until I can get them a check up. But from what I can see they are both acting perfectly normal. Drinking, eating, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Always excited and hoping around the cage when I go to see them and stuff. They are currently in the garden munching on grass. I can't see a single thing out of place, apart from where they have changed going to the bathroom :?

Very odd indeed

Yeah I will keep an eye on them until I can get them a check up. But from what I can see they are both acting perfectly normal. Drinking, eating, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Always excited and hoping around the cage when I go to see them and stuff. They are currently in the garden munching on grass. I can't see a single thing out of place, apart from where they have changed going to the bathroom :?

Very odd indeed

There's plenty of illnesses that may have no outsard symptoms. I'd definitely vetcheck

Have you any other animals? Could Pebbles be marking?

He sometimes sees my male guinea pig when he is in the garden but they never pay any attention to each other. The only other animal they see is the dog.

I have noticed Rosie has started trying to hump him again. Not sure why, unless he is trying to say it's his and stuff...

Both of mine have stopped using theirs all of a sudden, i have been to vets for a checkup with them both and they are fine, i think mine are just been awkward and stubborn!

from my observations of my four i would say:

rabbits like a cleanish but not pristine litter tray. too clean and they'll start a latrine somewhere else - not clean enough and they'll throw something like a toy or pot into it to show it shouldn't be used any more and go somewhere else.

rabbits love to wee and poo on hay. if you let hay get deep (if you can't see through it), they'll start a latrine, because they love the way the wee goes straight to the bottom and mummy doesn't know its there.

rabbits see litter trays as a challenge. a water dish helpfully provided for drinking soon becomes a litter tray, because rabbits like to test their directional skills by weeing and pooing in it. a litter tray is a wonderful game - you can collect poos for mummy to take away and if you are very skillful you can wee over the side so that all the wees go underneath the tray....

The hay in the main part of the hutch is quick deep as I wanted to make it cozy with all this horrible weather we have been having. Should I keep it quite a thin layer instead? I have had a good look through the hay to see what bits are being used and it seems to be only be using 2 corners. One at the back and one at the front under the water bottles. Maybe where the bottles leak onto the hay he thinks it's a good place to wee :?

I will try not to clean their litter trays too much. The smell of vinegar might be putting them off

from my observations of my four i would say:

rabbits like a cleanish but not pristine litter tray. too clean and they'll start a latrine somewhere else - not clean enough and they'll throw something like a toy or pot into it to show it shouldn't be used any more and go somewhere else.

rabbits love to wee and poo on hay. if you let hay get deep (if you can't see through it), they'll start a latrine, because they love the way the wee goes straight to the bottom and mummy doesn't know its there.

rabbits see litter trays as a challenge. a water dish helpfully provided for drinking soon becomes a litter tray, because rabbits like to test their directional skills by weeing and pooing in it. a litter tray is a wonderful game - you can collect poos for mummy to take away and if you are very skillful you can wee over the side so that all the wees go underneath the tray....

This made me smile, have similar issues here. Right next to the tray, literally right next to it. Has a new tray but it I swop it back he throws that one and moves hay to the corner and goes there, I swear the hay is to keep his feet clean!!
It is driving me slightly loopy constantly having a little puddle under the hay (rest is in the tray).

This made me smile, have similar issues here. Right next to the tray, literally right next to it. Has a new tray but it I swop it back he throws that one and moves hay to the corner and goes there, I swear the hay is to keep his feet clean!!
It is driving me slightly loopy constantly having a little puddle under the hay (rest is in the tray).

Mine do it right in front of the pigging litter trays! but it soaks under the litter trays, I've resorted to putting wood chippings down, because we were away this weekend, and didn't want our landlady (who was going in feeding buns) to have to deal with it.... i think im gonna get some megazorb and put it down.

hope yours gets sorted soon!

Mine do it right in front of the pigging litter trays! but it soaks under the litter trays, I've resorted to putting wood chippings down, because we were away this weekend, and didn't want our landlady (who was going in feeding buns) to have to deal with it.... i think im gonna get some megazorb and put it down.

hope yours gets sorted soon!

Thanks, I'm not sure really, might change his tray to his old one and see what happens. I thought he just threw it to get my attention but he hardly moves the new one but does do a little wee next to it.

Back