• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is There an Epidemic of 'Bought a Rabbit Last Week But Kid is Allergic so..........

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
.........Rabbit has to go ?

I have had 3 requests to take in Rabbits over the last week. I am not a Rescue, I dont broadcast that I have Rabbits. Yet these three local people knew who's door to knock on when 'wanting rid' of a Bunny. All with the exact same excuse that their son/daughter was allergic to the Rabbit.

One person had only had the Rabbit for 48 hours !!

Sorry to be cynical, but it's school holidays!

You'd think they'd be a little more creative though.....

I have an old bonded pair that the owner said she couldn't keep as she had 'become' allergic to them and they were making her ill. When we went to collect them she had 2 cat's and 3 dogs but she insisted it was the rabbits causing the allergy :(

'Kid is allergic' is so overused. I bet hardly any are, or if they do have an allergic reaction it's probably more likely due to the hay... if they even know to get the rabbit hay, it seems so many people just feed pellets :(

Sorry to be cynical, but it's school holidays!

You'd think they'd be a little more creative though.....

Ah yes - can't be bothered to pay for bunny boarding when we go on holiday so let's just get rid of it :censored:.

Absolutely, gumtree is horrifying just now with cats and puppies. Was telling the lady at the dogs trust about our pup yesterday and she said they get load of Lhasa apso, Shih tzu types because they look like teddies when small but the novelty of looking after them wears off pretty quick. Just like baby bunnies.:cry:

I think when people get rabbits or guinea pigs, they only consider the fur. The main cause of allergies is most likely the hay or shavings, if they use them (which most people do).

Its that time of year unfortunately. People who are going on holiday 'want rid' quick. I think the economic climate is affecting things too. We got a horrible request for re-homing a dog last night...they've had the dog 11 years, he's out of work and 'its' another mouth to feed so if we dont pick 'it' up by Saturday 'its' PTS. Thats the polite bit of the wording too:censored:

I think it is unfair to use allergy as an excuse as then when a genuine person who has a life threatening allergy needs to rehome they are judged. I know a lady who has a life threatening allergy to cats, she had cats all her life and was heartbroken, I remember a lot of people telling her she could get tablets or that she may get over the allergy but after several hospital admissions in a high dependency unit she had to accept that she was allergic, she had to have all her carpets and soft furnishings removed and replaced too. You can be allergic to cats but not dogs (or vice versa) , I don't know if they add rabbits to the allergy tests?

Yes, I've had a request where the lady had bought the rabbit for her daughter a week ago, but now doens't want it as it's distressing the child.

Offered a place on the waiting list and heard nothing further.

Yes, I've had a request where the lady had bought the rabbit for her daughter a week ago, but now doens't want it as it's distressing the child.

Offered a place on the waiting list and heard nothing further.

I'd have told her to make the child wear a blindfold so that she couldn't see the rabbit ;). I'd sooooo like to thump some people right between the eyes.

So sad. Both my OH and eldest daughter are highly allergic to rabbits. We didnt know until we had Lucky who was initially a house rabbit. We then moved him to the outhouse and got 2 more friends for him since. Yep, OH and daughter sneeze and go red and have trouble breathing when they spend time with them but most of the time they are fine (and there's always anti-histamines) :thumb:

It's def the fur (as opposed to the hay) that's a problem.

My local gumtree - got puppy TODAY but child is seriously allergic.:roll: You would think the breeder would take them back then:?

So sad. Both my OH and eldest daughter are highly allergic to rabbits. We didnt know until we had Lucky who was initially a house rabbit. We then moved him to the outhouse and got 2 more friends for him since. Yep, OH and daughter sneeze and go red and have trouble breathing when they spend time with them but most of the time they are fine (and there's always anti-histamines) :thumb:

It's def the fur (as opposed to the hay) that's a problem.

I'm allergic to hay & have buns & a horse.

I have a mask & gloves, wear long sleeves & like you say - antiihistamines & an inhaler:D

My local gumtree - got puppy TODAY but child is seriously allergic.:roll: You would think the breeder would take them back then:?

So bizarre isn't it! Good breeders always want to know if you need to give up your dog and normally have them back.

I must admit I never thought that these people may have just been trying to offload a Rabbit to avoid paying for him/her to be cared for whilst they go on holiday

I must admit I never thought that these people may have just been trying to offload a Rabbit to avoid paying for him/her to be cared for whilst they go on holiday

Unfortunately this happens a lot with any animals. So much cheaper to buy a new one after the holidays than pay for boarding... :evil:

A pet is for life - if you cannot afford boarding or pet sitters then you cannot afford the holiday, or that is the way I look at it.

The one that winds me up and is :

Got to rehome petX that we have only had 2 months as girlfriend is having a baby next week

did they not notice two months earlier girlfriend looking a bit chunky? the breeder I had my first dog off asked me bluntly whether I was planning on trying for a baby in next year or two- she said its ever so common for pregnant women to buy a new pet as some kind of bizarre practice run then abandon minute baby born:( she would no longer allow a pup to go to anyone planning a baby in next year.

Back