• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping

Rdgib85

Young Bun
Is there any good tips/tricks for doing this? My vet charges £12 and soon I will have 4 rabbits in total. My 2 plus 2 I am rescuing from a sorry state. I saw them today to confirm my offer to rehome. They are not cleaned out for weeks on end, never leave their hutch, are not fed greens or hay just rabbit mix and their hutches are in a filthy poor state. I noticed their nails were in a poor condition so long some have broken off and uneven. The first thing I will want to do is sort their nails.

Their hutches are being revamped over next couple of weeks but their nails are my main concern.

One of my rabbits doesn't like being handled, just fussed but as soon as I try he runs off. Never had to do my other rabbit as she's ok ATM (she was seen by vet recently and vet said nails were fine). Their run is partly on concrete anyway.

Ideally I'd like to be able to do them myself and wonder how to
Go about this. I strongly suspect they did my bucks when he was still sedated from his castration.

You will need to find a way of holding them secure, put them on your lap and try to calm them down and attempt to touch the feet, it may take a while for them to trust you to do this but its worth it. If you really cannot hold him you can wrap him in a towel with his front paws out and try that method.

You will need to not hit the quick. The quick is the nails blood supply. Some rabbits have clear / light nails so you can actually see the quick if there is enough light. On rabbits with dark claws you cannot do this. If you get your nail clippers and gently squeeze on the nail with it and you get a reaction of some sort from the rabbit (like a flinch) then you are too close or on the quick, move further down the nail and do it again. This is something youll get used to doing and in time will know where your safe to clip on each rabbit.

Having some cornflour handy in case you DO clip the quick is handy as you can put the paw in to stop the bleeding.

Thanks LiamP. Think my buck will always need to
Go vets for his. Even a towel would cause mayhem lol. I'm sure I can do my doe. She's ok once caught. I've not actually tried myself.

The 2 I'm rescuing haven't been handled for a long time but do not show signs of viciousness when I've put my hand in to stroke etc. tbh I think they'll love the attention
!! Lol. They are so long I think even just taking a bit off them placing them on concrete for a couple of weeks will sort them out. If not I will obviously get them done at the vet!

A good way I find for cutting the right length is to cut to the level of the fur. I have one who has dark nails and I use that method instead of trying to see the quick (she's also the most wriggly!!). I also use dog clippers instead of those fiddly rabbit ones, I find dog ones much easier to pick up quickly. I also hold their paw and let their nails curl round my finger which seems to happen naturally and this I find is an easier position to cut them in esp for the front paws.

I must cut my own rabbits' nails before our vet trip next week :oops:

Back