• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is fly strike a winter thing too please?

LainiT

Warren Scout
Fairly new to the ins and outs of this but I have a lion head who gets a sticky bum periodically. I've taken him to get his bottom shaved at the vets which is helping a lot. I brought them inside til I sorted out some kind of mosquito netting for the hutch and run cos my little man seems a prime candidate for fly attention.

What I'm wondering is those who use netting over the living quarters, is it an all year round thing or do you take the net off in winter??

I know people recommend tutu netting which is cheap and easy to buy, but I'm figuring this will rot over time so I'll get some proper farmer fly net if its a permanent fixture.

Any info would be V. much appreciated. cheers muchly :D

Have you tried to get to the "bottom" of his problem? Is he eating too much dried food. Maybe if this is the cause you can eliminate it by reducing the amount and you wouldn't have to worry about him catching flystrike. Flystrike is more prevalent in the summer .

Have you tried to figure out why he seems a 'prime candidate for flystrike'

Is he overweight so cant clean himself properly?
Are his poops ok, not runny and sticking to his bum?

Back