• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing advice needed asap please.

silver jedi

Young Bun
Hi im caring for a mummy rabbit and 5 , 5 week old babies, until now they have been in a 7 by 2 pen, with option for mum to free range but she has declined so far, ive just got a 6 by 4 pen which is to be their day pen inside and awaiting delivery of a 6 foot double hutch at the weekend, which they will live in when not exercising either inside or out 9 we have an outside area) - im planning their exercise hours to be around 14 hours a day.however ive got some rubber matting off ebay that i have scrubbed with washing up liqued but it still stinks, even so much the neighbours have asked me wether i can smell a burning rubbery smell, said rubber matting is still outside airing off but will it calm down at all, should i put up the pen as a temporary hutch even though the true hutches are coming at the weekend? is there anything else i can do to sort the matting out and also would it be cruel to allow the babies to free range when their prospective homes possibly would keep them penned( within guidelines). thanks.x

Usually the smell does subside considerably but it's hard to give you
A definite answer. Maybe a couple more washes and plenty of drying outside will speed it up. Not sure what else you can do. Have you googled it. Might be something you can do the magnificent google can unearth for you

Have you tried scrubbing it with vinegar? That usually gets rid of smells quickly.

Back