• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long-haired rabbit problems

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
"My hoomin grooms loads of fur out of me, like a pile the size of me, but still when I wash myself I end up eating fur and it makes my tummy ache :("

Buckley is not a happy bunny at moulting time. I don't know what to do, I groom him several times a day and he still ends up eating a lot of fur which makes his gut go squiffy. If anyone knows of some magical cure to moulting ails please share xoxo

I cant help you I'm afraid.
But feel your pain as have the same problem with Bear, we just brought a furminator, made it better for a few days but then it begins again, the amount of fur I get out of him you would think he would be bold!

I think the best thing is to push the fibre and fluids as that helps keep the gut moving. So lots of hay and plenty of water; I don't know if you've tried it with Buckley but my two love their water with a splash of hot from the kettle :roll: and always drink lots every time I fill the bowl that way.

Pineapple juice is supposed to help due to the bromelain but I think it has to be fresh and I also tend to think that the effects of the sugar on his gut would counteract any benefits he would be getting.

Have you tried grooming him with rubber gloves or with damp hands?

I think the best thing is to push the fibre and fluids as that helps keep the gut moving. So lots of hay and plenty of water; I don't know if you've tried it with Buckley but my two love their water with a splash of hot from the kettle :roll: and always drink lots every time I fill the bowl that way.

Pineapple juice is supposed to help due to the bromelain but I think it has to be fresh and I also tend to think that the effects of the sugar on his gut would counteract any benefits he would be getting.

Have you tried grooming him with rubber gloves or with damp hands?

I'll try the water thing. Mm, I think pineapple juice probably helps mostly because it gets them to drink more :lol: I often groom him with damp hands. We got a furminator the other day and that's got a lot of fur off but he seems to be moulting faster than I can groom him.

It can seem like you're fighting a losing battle with moulting. Alfie's short-haired but has such a thick coat and he moults for months. You think you've got it all and then you blink & there's more tufts. :roll:

Avipro is a probiotic that you can put in the water - it's supposed to be quite appealing to bunnies & helps them to drink more but my two hated :roll: it so I can't personally recommend it. :lol:

Need a : no : icon :wave:

Pineapple juice is certainly no miracle cure and can cause more problems that it cures due to its high sugar content.

Search the forum for bromelaine i think it is :wave:

adding a tiny bit to water shouldnt do any harm unless you have a super sensitive bun, can also try herbal teas :wave: or just pouring water over fresh mint in one of those loose tea holder things :wave: and apple juice in water aswell. Just tiny tiny amounts but enough to encourage drinking

Back