• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Struggling with Bramble...

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
We had to move Brams downstairs as upstairs was just too hot for him. Our house is so well insulated that in the summer, no matter what we do, it's way too hot.

Since he's been downstairs, he just won't move. He's got the porch and he goes next to the sofa as well which is around a 5 foot by 4 foot space. Brams is a big boy though (at 4.5kg and a French Lop) so it's worrying that he just won't move out of that space.

I can understand it to an extent as it's super cool in his little area but I just worry about him. He will sometimes come out and crawl under the coffee table next to the sofa but it's not often.

He looks pretty forlorn a lot of the time and I'm pretty sure he's lonely as Selby now goes outside so he doesn't have the cat for company.

How do I get him to come out of his little area? He would have the whole living room and the kitchen to bound about in if he'd come out but he just won't.

We were thinking about using some B&Q vouchers we got for the wedding for a shed and bonding him with Dex and Pumpkin as obviously we can't adopt another bun. He is atleast twice the size of them though so would it work?

Thanks in advance.

Aww is he scared to explore his new surroundings? Maybe it smells of another bunny or something and he thinks it's their territory? :? Poor Bramble, I hope he ventures out soon! :wave:

Aww is he scared to explore his new surroundings? Maybe it smells of another bunny or something and he thinks it's their territory? :? Poor Bramble, I hope he ventures out soon! :wave:

We don't have any other bunnies indoors... Dex and Pumpkin are outside in their 6x2.

I'm not sure if it's the wooden flooring but he handles it ok next to the sofa... The dog is down here but Bramble doesn't have a problem with her and she spends all her time in the kitchen anyway.

I really think he needs to be an outside bunny as he's obsessed with the porch area... I just wish he'd move around a bit more. I'm so worried he's miserable :(

Aww Meghanne :( I'm not sure what to suggest, I'm sure he isn't miserable!

Hope he moves himself soon! xx

Aww Meghanne :( I'm not sure what to suggest, I'm sure he isn't miserable!

Hope he moves himself soon! xx

He looks miserable all the time :( Just spends his time sleeping.

Only time he looks happy is when I manage to get him outside in the run next to Dex and Pumpkin but that is a HUGE struggle as Brams does not do getting picked up and we end up with a stressed bunny and a scratched me! If he would only move, I could coax him out of the house and into the garden.

It's driving me crazy... Maybe bonding with the other two is the only way to go but I don't know how a trio of two medium buns and one HUGE bunny would work :/ plus, Pumpkin is quite nervy and hides behind Dexie a lot. Dexter is fine with other buns and Pumpkin was great in the group... I just don't know :(

He looks miserable all the time :( Just spends his time sleeping.

Only time he looks happy is when I manage to get him outside in the run next to Dex and Pumpkin but that is a HUGE struggle as Brams does not do getting picked up and we end up with a stressed bunny and a scratched me! If he would only move, I could coax him out of the house and into the garden.

It's driving me crazy... Maybe bonding with the other two is the only way to go but I don't know how a trio of two medium buns and one HUGE bunny would work :/ plus, Pumpkin is quite nervy and hides behind Dexie a lot. Dexter is fine with other buns and Pumpkin was great in the group... I just don't know :(

Do you think he wants a companion then? if you'd rather not try the trio idea, would another bunny be an option? Max and Gracie are proving tricky to bond at the moment, but they share a room so always see each other, smell each other and I regularly catch them talking to each other. They're still being bonded!

I don't know what else to suggest, trio might work, but then there's always to possibility of ending up with 3 single bunnies if it doesn't work out :( xx

Do you think he wants a companion then? if you'd rather not try the trio idea, would another bunny be an option? Max and Gracie are proving tricky to bond at the moment, but they share a room so always see each other, smell each other and I regularly catch them talking to each other. They're still being bonded!

I don't know what else to suggest, trio might work, but then there's always to possibility of ending up with 3 single bunnies if it doesn't work out :( xx

Dex and Pumpkin were bonded with the 4 buns who ended up having to go to Helen (the accidental litter buns!) They're the closest bunnies I've ever came across so I very much doubt their bond could ever break! They've survived their own bond, being bonded with a larger group and then being a two-some again.

Another bun just isn't an option at all but I'm pretty convinced he needs someone. Rehoming isn't an option as we adore him and he's not really a rehomable bun anyway as he has ongoing eye issues and issues with new people.

Another bun wouldn't be an option until all court stuff was finished (and who knows when that will be!) and we've moved house.

There's also no room outside for him to be on his own in his own accomodation.

Gah... bunnies :'(

awww bless him. How old is he? My big boy Storm doesn't move around as much as I'd like. I leave the bunny gate open and Gypsy will hop out and explore every time but Storm just lays there. Frenchies can be lazy buns. Storm only ever gets worked up and animated about food :roll:

As for bonding him with smaller buns, it can work :D Gypsy is only 2.6 KG and Storm is almost 6kg and they are the closest most loved up couple I've ever seen :love:

I really hope you can sort something out for Bramble Xxx

Awww we have a Bramble too!!

Our Bramble was lonely and giving him a companion really made a difference, although they are currently seprated due to health reasons we are going to put them back next to each other outside after the weekend. Could your Bramble not be put outside in a seperate hutch next to your other buns to give him so 'bunny company'....at least that way you could see if they like each other before bonding them.

Awww we have a Bramble too!!

Our Bramble was lonely and giving him a companion really made a difference, although they are currently seprated due to health reasons we are going to put them back next to each other outside after the weekend. Could your Bramble not be put outside in a seperate hutch next to your other buns to give him so 'bunny company'....at least that way you could see if they like each other before bonding them.

They often spend time in runs next to each other and there has never been any thumping or biting through the bars. They've always just seemed very curious of each other. Pumpkin normally doesn't go too near Bramble but she doesn't go near anyone really. She's always been a strange bunny :lol:

I couldn't put him in a hutch as he's just way too big! But may just keep trying him in the run and see how they go :)

awww bless him. How old is he? My big boy Storm doesn't move around as much as I'd like. I leave the bunny gate open and Gypsy will hop out and explore every time but Storm just lays there. Frenchies can be lazy buns. Storm only ever gets worked up and animated about food :roll:

As for bonding him with smaller buns, it can work :D Gypsy is only 2.6 KG and Storm is almost 6kg and they are the closest most loved up couple I've ever seen :love:

I really hope you can sort something out for Bramble Xxx

See, Brams go absolutely nuts for food! He can be lying down one minute and if he hears food, he's up in a nano second trying to fight you for it! He's very food orientated!

He must be happy most times though as he has a tendency to do a lot of dead bunny flops! It almost always takes a good few nudges to make sure he's ok!

I guess we just need to see... I may try bonding and see how it goes but it'll have to wait until after his next tear duct flush.

I love him so much... he spent his first 18 months in a tiny double hutch being poked and prodded by a little girl (aged around 2/3) so he was so nervous and upset when we first got him. He's not quite 100% over it yet as he's only been here for a year.

Poor boy :(

ETA: Bramble is around 2 and a half so he's still a young bun! Haha! :D

awww, I do love frenchies :love: I've posted quite a lot of Storm doing his dead bunny flops, he still manages to give me a heart attack, even after all these years :lol:

It's so sad about Brambles start in life, but at least he's with you now. I'm sure he is happy, frenchies have a tendancy to look grumpy all the time.

I hope you can bond him with your other buns x

Back