• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dominant/agressive rabbit

Kirsterz

New Kit
Hi everyone i was wondering if you could help with our rabbit sky. She is a 3 year old spayed girl and lives with our neuter boy and girl. She is constantly bullying them both either scratching at faces for food or chasing them around the hutch. It all came to a head today when she bit one of them so hard she drew blood at which point we decided to remove her. The others seem happier now and are grooming each other and snuggling together which they rarely did with sky around, it was more of do it when sky allowed. The problem is that i dont like the idea of sky being on her own but due to her being overly dominant/aggressive everytime we try to integrate her with other rabbits she tries to dominate them and it always seems to end in a fight. Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated as i only want whats best for her.

It could be that she just hasn't met the right friend but it could also be that she prefers human company to rabbit. Some rabbits are just like that. Julie is food maniac also. She is very happy as a house rabbit. She has a rabbit teddy that she will groom when she can't groom me and get groomed from me. She will even sleep with her and loves to push her head under the rabbit teddy. She free ranges in the kitchen where I spend most of my time. Can your bunny be a free range house rabbit?

If the other two rabbits are noticeably happier since Sky isn't with them then I definitely wouldn't try to put them all back together.

You could try to keep her indoors on her own with you and see if she seems happy with just your company. Personally I'd try getting her a new friend, she may be the jealous type and not like the dynamics of a 3-in-a-cage situation, especially if the other two rabbits were close. Maybe she felt a little left out?

If you go to your local RSPCA shelter they will allow you to 'try out' a bunny and return them if it doesn't work out. I'd also think about the personality of a potential new bunny friend for Sky. If Sky's a very dominant, bossy rabbit she might be better suited with a more laid back, easy going rabbit who is happy to let Sky be the boss. That's how my two are and it seems to work really well. One is very bolshy, confident and in charge, the other is very timid, gentle and submissive. Two very bossy dominant rabbits might have a clash of personalities and fight.

Hope it all works out for you :) xx

Back