• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny ate paint!

fmassf

New Kit
So one of my bunnies was in the lounge and started chewing the fireplace, and to my horror peeled off a strip of the paint and ate it! Should I be worried? Is this dangerous? I'm pretty worried!

Also, is they anything I can do to stop him chewing the fireplace?

I'm sure a bit of dry paint wont hurt your rabbit, although keep a close eye on him, if he starts to look lethargic, and stops eating/drinking, or pooing, you should contact your vet, a temporary break in eating might not sound serious but for rabbits it is as their digestive tracks are designed to keep moving

As for stopping chewing, I don't have much to suggest except maybe a fireguard, there are chew stopping sprays but they don't always work for rabbits and they might mark your wall, and make sure the rabbit has plenty of distractions, unlimited hay to chew on, maybe some wood toys, maybe consider getting your rabbit a companion, rabbits are great together when bonded properly and he probably wont be as bored and feel the need to be destructive

Finx ate quite a lot of wall, doorframe, skirting board etc when she was a housebunny (hence now living outside with her husbun). She never had any problems. If your bun is eating and toileting as normal I wouldn't worry. As for bunny proofing, there's loads of info on here - although I eventually found it easier to rescue Tango to keep Finx company and move them both outside :lol:

Boris was a little monkey when he was a youngster and has chewed every piece of furniture that I own. Some of which are painted. He was always fine :wave:

Thanks for your replies :)

He does have a companion and they are very happy together, but they are both going through the teenage bunny phase and chewing everything! No matter how many toys etc they have, they still chew the furniture haha. He was neutered last week, so hopefully he will calm down over the next few weeks!

I think getting a fire guard will be my best bet! :lol:

It could cause problems (neurological symptoms) if it was lead-based paint- it it an old house? xx

One of my bunnies eats literally ANYTHING....the other day she ripped open a bag of cement and I caught her licking cement powder :shock:

Luckily she was fine but she has also stripped off wallpaper in the past with paint on and eaten it....I always try and grab things out of her mouth but sometimes I'm too late.

I'm sure your bunny will be fine though!

Back