• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cross posting from rabbit chat.

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
Basically i need advice on how to clean our house to kill off ear mites in semi free ranging buns downstairs in a lounge with no carpet but lino.
I do not want to and cannot use an insectide cleaner. I have a steam cleaner....the tempersture is adjustable and its recommended by the allergy guys. I use it whenever fur mites show up or the odd flea....luckily weve not had either on any of the buns or cats for a long time.

Have no idea where the ear mites came from....only baxter is scratching...bluebell has a very mild case in one ear. The other buns live upstairs with no contact with downstairs buns.....the cats are caught in the middle but not one of them is showing ear mite sympoms.

wil the steam cleaner be ok....it is the only thing to penetrate a flea egg with the highest heat setting so i figure it should work with ear mites.

i am going to ask our vet if she is prepared to prescribe stronghold for all the buns and cats....even if they are symptom free rather than ear drops alone for the frenchies.
At least they will all be a non living zone for ear mites for one compete cycle. Adult mite to egg to adult mite takes about 3 weeks to complete the cycle so with stronghold ladting foyr weeks i figure its hopeful to eradicate the mites completely. Advice or input greatly appreciated!

Back