• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cleaning to get rid of ear mites in free range buns in lounge

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
i will cross post this in care as i am really stumped on the best way forward.

bluebell hadvto go to the vets and be kept in again.....pyrexia of unknown origin....high temp..her ears were like a furnace :(
She attacked little kitty freya...just came flying out of nowhere and dragged her to the ground turning her onto her back and biting and digging at her tummy. freya was screaming and i had to pull bluebell off of her.nshe always has hated the cats since her very first minute here....vet thinks she had a bad cat enounter before going to BARC.
She had been doing so well....over 24 hrs without hurting or chasing and climbing the cat s ratch post after them.

the vet found the beginnings of ear mites in one of bluebells ears.....but not enough to make her temp go so high and she hasnt even been scratching at her ears or shaking them.

none of my buns have been out this year.....garden there but lots of personal problems and gardener not doing it anymore due to car crash and broken leg. instead of hay fever ....i have bad asthma instead....
the cats escaped two nights for a while....otherwise they havent been out either.

There is a rottweiler sized dog crate with plastic tray...baxter spends more time than bluebell in there but am now half and half share. They share the crate and the lounge in shifts! we have no carpet downstairs only stairs and laning and my bedroom. lino floor in lounge.....2 bed settees.

with fur mites ive steam cleaned everything in range of the bunny. Do you think it would work hoovering everything i can and steam cleaning it with a high temp pressurised steam cleaner?

the vet wants to give bluebell ear drops....because she s ill with her usual condition we do t want to ivomec her.

baxter is scratching like mad...i thought he had fur mites or gods forbid....fleas! cannot find a sign of anything and with his ears naked eye isnt good enough.

they have a litter tray each which gets used byeach of them during switch over time.

so steam clean the trays too....

I am going to ask fir stronghold not ivomec injections and treat all the buns and cats even if they are symptom free with selamectin.
That way they all get treated just in case and prevent infestation.

I do not want to use and cannot use an insecticide cleaner.....high pressure very high adjustable steam cleaner i hope will work...advice p,ease!

Giving this a bump because I am curious as well. Obviously our household has a problem with mites since treatments are working...but how to get rid of these pests completely??
Hope things are improving at your place, Debbie. :) (((((((((((hugs))))))))))

Thank you both. our vet says its curious its only bluebell.....baxters clear! I asked her about putting stronghold on all the buns and cats to give the mites lfe cycle time to due off totally. she said no...its taking it too far....its usally bunnys living in close proximity with each other...like bonded grouos in a hutch......or cages indoors.......
i am still going to blast everywhere with steam cleaner when its cooler again! it kills dust mites and gods only knows we ave enough dust and then some!

It never dawned on me to clean the environment when our house buns got ear mites - I should have thought of that but I think my vet said their hay was the most likely source! The mites only showed up once and didn't recurr once treated.
Having said that I think the mites may have been partly responsible for both of them developing ear abscesses a few months later.

Back