• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What determines when a rabbit moults?

So did I, that's why I asked, as they don't seem to be following the rules! Finx has been moulting for well over a month now but Tango has just started losing his thick coat, now that it's getting dark earlier... :roll:

I have no clue at all...mine just seem to moult at the most random times, but I don't know, that could be because they're indoors.

to b fair tho the weather has been up and down, even I'm confused shorts flipflops one day, jumper boots the nxt.....no wonder our bunnies coats don't know wht to do.......we had the same discussion at work everyone's bunnies seem to b in permanent moult at the moment. x

I think it's temperature related rather than daylight related. Mine still haven't lost the last bits of their winter coat yet.

I think it's temperature related rather than daylight related. Mine still haven't lost the last bits of their winter coat yet.

That's what I thought but Tango still has his winter coat on and has only now started moulting into his summer one :roll: They must be confused.

I always thought it was circadian rhythms. Hence why my bunnies have such odd moults due to our wonky daylight. :?
I suppose it could be nutritional also.

AFAIK both temp and light levels affect it. Mine seem to moult a lot, i think it's due to being house bunnies.

I wish I knew. Buckley didn't moult his winter coat until a few weeks ago, looked super clean and new, then he got stasis and now he's moulting even more heavily.

My 4s moults are all different.
Timmy and Charlotte seem to moult atleast twice in summer and twice in winter, if not more :roll:
Max moults more like I would expect, once in winter and once in summer.
Mimi hasnt moulted for over 2 years since she had her head tilt, but is suddenly moulting more than Ive ever seen in a rabbit! :shock:
Theres always one of them at it and a constant tumbleweed of fur flying around my house :roll:

Back