• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding gone wrong

Am v depressed about my boarding lady. Have used her for two years and she started out really good, but think she is overstretching herself now and stuffing more and more hutches into her tiny garden, thinking of profit rather than welfare.

When I first started boarding with her she only took rabbits and guineas. Now she takes on chickens, ducks and horror of horrors when I turned up to collect my boys from her on Sunday ferrets!!!! The ferrets were living right opposite my boys in a chicken pen!! She admitted to me that one had dug its way out and escaped. Am I wrong in thinking that ferrets attack rabbits!? I thought they were predators!

The last two times I have boarded my two with her one of them has come home with a sticky bum. Its not entirely clear how this has happened.

I have found another boarding place and will be looking at that next week.

Am I overreacting!? I don't think so.....

you're not over reacting. Sorry that she's let you down, and I hope you find somewhere else suitable. If you decide to stop using her I'd suggest writing a letter detailing why.

We do bunny boarding in Redditch!

Our minimum size hutches are 6x2x2 but we have two hutches that are kept solely for boarding rabbits that are 8ft. Contact me via PM or email us if you wish to enquire further (contact info on website www.hopperhaven.org.uk)

Louise looks after all the rabbits, and what she doesn't know isn't worth knowing, so bunnies are in safe hands and she's the only person I would trust my babies to.

Caroline

If the ferrets were in a secure pen it would be fine. Not all ferrets hunt small animals anyway. Just like dogs, some can have a high prey drive and some won't, but since they're not in a secure pen it's a danger to the ferrets, and possibly rabbits and other prey animals.

Must not be a secure chicken pen either if the ferrets can get out of it...which means foxes could get in to eat the ferrets, or chickens or ducks if she uses it for them when she isn't boarding ferrets. she definitely needs to sort out the housing.

If the ferrets were in a secure pen it would be fine. Not all ferrets hunt small animals anyway. Just like dogs, some can have a high prey drive and some won't, but since they're not in a secure pen it's a danger to the ferrets, and possibly rabbits and other prey animals.

I see what you're saying but the woman is running a boarding facility. Some, if not most rabbits are put on edge by the scent of ferrets so regardless of whether the ferrets are hunters or not (the vast majority are) it's not really fair to have them right next to each other.

I see what you're saying but the woman is running a boarding facility. Some, if not most rabbits are put on edge by the scent of ferrets so regardless of whether the ferrets are hunters or not (the vast majority are) it's not really fair to have them right next to each other.

Yeah, true, it's different with a boarding facility.
I just think ferret's prey drive is exaggerated a bit. I wonder sometimes if ferrets in the UK have more of a prey drive because on US ferret forums I hang out on it seems the majority of ferrets don't have much of a prey drive.

If she's running a boarding business, then wouldn't she be under licence on how many animals she can keep especially in built up areas. Maybe talk to the council about it, they may be enough to make her realise she's over stretched and maybe not giving the best care.

I'd look for another boarder too, if it were me. That escaped ferret could've cost people their pets. I hope your bun gets better, maybe it's the stress of all those animals so close that caused it?

No wonder you are livid, I would be as well. I hope you have more success with the next place you use.

Thanks guys! I feel really bad coz she is a lovely lady but I can't let my two board with her anymore.

I will have a look at the other suggestions people have made. Thanks so much!

I don't want to leave them in a place that I'm not comfortable with and they aren't happy. I hate leaving them when I go away anyway!

I definitely would not feel happy boarding my bunnies somewhere where ferrets are also staying.

Like Hopper Haven, I also do boarding. Only bunnies and guinea pigs and the occasional goldfish!!

www.hoppy-holidays.co.uk

I only do boarding on a VERY small scale, but all guest have loads of attention given to them.:thumb:

Last edited:
I definitely would not feel happy boarding my bunnies somewhere where ferrets are also boarded.

Like Hopper Haven, I also do boarding. Only bunnies and guinea pigs and the occasional goldfish!!

www.hoppy-holidays.co.uk

I only do boarding on a VERY small scale, but all guest have loads of attention given to them.:thumb:

Thanks for this. I will book a visit to you and Hopper Haven I think as you are so close.

If she's running a boarding business, then wouldn't she be under licence on how many animals she can keep especially in built up areas. Maybe talk to the council about it, they may be enough to make her realise she's over stretched and maybe not giving the best care.

I'd look for another boarder too, if it were me. That escaped ferret could've cost people their pets. I hope your bun gets better, maybe it's the stress of all those animals so close that caused it?

On both occasions that he has had sticky bun after being there he has been fine when I have got him home.

Let me know if you want to arrange a visit to Hopper Haven.

We're not generally open to the public, but I can arrange for you to visit, or you can come along to our next Open Day and meet all the residents!

Let me know if you want to arrange a visit to Hopper Haven.

We're not generally open to the public, but I can arrange for you to visit, or you can come along to our next Open Day and meet all the residents!

Could I also come along and visit one day?

I can recommend Hopperhaven, my daughter boarded her two rabbits there a couple of years ago. Louise is lovely and really has a lovely set up.

Back