• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ALEX IS HOME and seems back to her old self!!!

bunnylover4

Warren Scout
:thumb:alex finally starting doing poo's this afternoon and is now home snuggled up with Gizmo. She seems like her old self although she is still on a lot of medication. Our own vet has said about making up a bunny first aid kit for alex [although we have one first aid kit with the basics] as this is 2nd time in 5months that she has had GI stasis. So we are looking at doing that on friday when alex has a check up. Thanks to those who wished her well . She is now bouncing around the living room quite content. But not leaving gizmo's side for long. They have always had a love hate relationship. But right now i think she is VERY glad to see him again :love::love::love::love::love::love::love:
:cry:08/08/2012 - still no change:cry: Alex hasnt eatten much over night and they say she has got to stay in. The vet checked her stomach this morning and said its not as tense but she still hasnt done any poo's. Our own vet [who works at a different branch] is going to phone later for us to see if she would be better off at home because we are worried about her getting depressed now and i think her mate is missing her too. Either way we are going to see her today either to bring her home or visit. We will take Gizmo in too and see if that brightens her up a bit ..... Please send vibes for poo's .... its been nearly 48hrs now and i am afraid we are going to loose her. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

hello all

Please can you send some vibes for alex. :cry::cry:

Late last night she refused to eat then very quickly went very floppy and suddenly started grinding her teeth loudly. She couldnt settle and we knew we had to get her to the vets straight away. So in on emergency and the vet said her stomach was quiet but her stomach was distended and she feared bloat. She took her for an xray which she didnt have to even sedate her for because alex was so subdued. The xray showed some gas in her stomach but there was food in there too. They said they wanted to keep her in over night because of the distended stomach.

This morning when we rang to see how she was they said she had had a good night, she was eatting and drinking but still not passed any poos or wees. So we needed to take in some food and veg for her :cry: When we got in there we explained we have had expereince with GI Stasis and we do medicate at home and normally they pick up quickly. But we were told we couldnt take her home, but with no real explantion other than until she poo's they dont want her going home. This seemed strange to us as all previous times we have dealt with GI stasis at home as recommended by our rabbit savy vet. So a little while ago i phoned and asked for them to tell me why i couldnt take my rabbit home. I explained that if there was some medical reason why we cant have her home where she is less stressed and more comfortable then i am happy to leave her with them tonight.

A very stroppy nurse came on the phone [even though we asked to speak with a vet] and said that we had phoned to much [apparrently you are only supposed to ring twice a day!!!] She advised in no uncertain terms that alex couldnt go home untill she poo's. Even when i explained i have medicated bunnies before at home and we cleary are very caring and would take alex back in if we were concerned. She then advised that alex's stomach is still bloated and therefore has bloat! [why werent we told this this morning when we went in there :roll:] She said that although alex is eatting she could still go either way and therefore she has billed us up to midnight which adds up to £195. We arent worried about the money but we are very concerned for alex. One minute we are told she has had a good night and is eatting, the next we are told it is touch and go.

Our normal vet is day off today but i will ring her first thing in the morning if alex still isnt aloud hime. The other annoying thing is we havent even been aloud to see her since we took her in last night and her mate Gizmo is at home while she is in there. I am hoping it doesnt destroy there already strained bond.

Alex is being treated with metacopromide, ranitidine, metacam and something else beinging with v. also they are still syringe feeding her cryital care.

Please please advise and tell me what i should do. I am going out of my mind with worry and dont know what to do.

Last edited:
thanks peeps:love: i hope someone on here can give me some advise what to do. I am pulling my hair out and feel lost. My bunnies are my world and now i have Gizmo sat looking all lost at me too. I miss alex and want to give her a big cuddle in bed :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sorry I don't know enough to offer any advice on what's best for your rabbit, but I'm sure the vets can't keep her against your will. Surely the final decision whether or not your rabbit stays there or goes home is up to you so if you were really insistent and turned up demanding to have your rabbit back I doubt they could stop you taking her. However, it's possible they could report you to the RSPCA if they feel you're not acting in the best interest of the rabbit.

Sorry I can't help, I just read your post and thought how horrible and unsympathetic your vet/nurse sounded :(

Hi there,
So sorry that your bun is so poorly :cry:

Whilst I understand your anxiety and frustration, if Alex really does have bloat then she is much better remaining at the vets as an admission for intensive care. Bloat is a severe and serious complication of GI stasis and responds best to IV fluid therapy (you can not do at home) and strong opiates (again you can not give these at home unless you have prior permission and experience from a vet). It is not true that you can not take her home, she is your pet and they can not with-hold her against your will, however, from what you have been told today she would be better staying at the vets. :wave: I would certainly check what sort of treatment she is receiving - you have every right to ask this, indeed your consent should be sought as you are footing the bill. I would also make sure that the clinic is staffed overnight as she will need around the clock care in this acute phase. Sending lots of vibes x

Hi there,
So sorry that your bun is so poorly :cry:

Whilst I understand your anxiety and frustration, if Alex really does have bloat then she is much better remaining at the vets as an admission for intensive care. Bloat is a severe and serious complication of GI stasis and responds best to IV fluid therapy (you can not do at home) and strong opiates (again you can not give these at home unless you have prior permission and experience from a vet). It is not true that you can not take her home, she is your pet and they can not with-hold her against your will, however, from what you have been told today she would be better staying at the vets. :wave: I would certainly check what sort of treatment she is receiving - you have every right to ask this, indeed your consent should be sought as you are footing the bill. I would also make sure that the clinic is staffed overnight as she will need around the clock care in this acute phase. Sending lots of vibes x

:wave:
Hello thanks for the reassurance. I have been reading up on bloat and am starting to see that alex is in the correct place for now. The hosptial is staffed 24/7 and she is receiving intesive treatment. I just feel helpless for her and i think if i had spoken to someone more sympathetic on the phone i wouldnt be as stressed. But now i have to accept that she is in the best place and just prey she pulls through........ I am going to demand to see her tomorrow though [if she is still to unwell to come home later tonight]

The nurse should have explained things properly and in a more understanding manner, especially given how worried and stressed you must be.

Sending lots of vibes for you and your bunny xxx Hope she pulls through xxx

:love:thank you :love:
yes the nurse should have explained things better :evil: but as long as she looks after my alex and gets her well i will forgive her ;)

The nurse should have explained things properly and in a more understanding manner, especially given how worried and stressed you must be.

Sending lots of vibes for you and your bunny xxx Hope she pulls through xxx

Back