• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet plan ... Pre existing conditions?

VickyC83

Mama Doe
Has anyone taken cover with buns with pre existing conditions?

I've just taken it and wondered if it is going to be worth it.

Has anyone taken cover with buns with pre existing conditions?

I've just taken it and wondered if it is going to be worth it.

Even with the pre-existing conditions being excluded, your rabbit could still get sick for some other reason.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't know if they're going to be ok paying out or if they're going to try and get out of it by linking things with pre existing conditions.

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't know if they're going to be ok paying out or if they're going to try and get out of it by linking things with pre existing conditions.

I should think you'd be ok - what are the conditions that are excluded?

When I took it out the pre-existing was not covered for the first year in case it recurred (it had been a blockage so she was not covered for anything gut related for the first year)

I have. My rabbit has upper respiratory conditions excluded. His policy has paid for itself. Rabbits can need veterinary treatment for a variety of reasons. For example, my rabbit has been diagnosed with and treated for arthritis (which is now covered for the rest of his life thanks to pet insurance), had stasis twice, and had one dental which they covered because the vet kindly decided that the teeth and stasis were related. All that in 18 months of being alive. They've paid out a total of about £750 and the plan only costs me £100 a year.

Pet insurance even with exclusions is definitely worth it :)

I think that sometimes when you see the DD go out every month, you wonder whether it would be better to just save that money in case of illness. I'm very pleased I have it!

Me.

Ginger has 'respiratory condition' as her exclusion. She suffers from pasteurella and all respiratory issues caused by that are excluded.

Petplan have paid out over £500 easily since i had insurance on other issues.

Yep. Stephen's tear duct blockage is excluded and if we ever decide to have it fixed we'd have to pay for it, and continue to pay for it whenever it needed redoing. Because we know what's wrong it will be the only thing which is ever excluded but our fineprint does say that any condition with the same symptoms can be excluded.

Poppy is excluded for dental issues, I have had to claim for stasis (not dental related).

However, I also claimed because she had a injection site reaction due to penicillin injections for her teeth and had to have surgery to have a lump removed (they paid out for that, over £700). I also claimed the other month for a skin problem (that we think may actually be connected to dental issues and maybe stress but this wasn't thought of until after the claim).

So I have been lucky in that they ahve paid for thinks linked to her dental issues.

My insurance for three costs me over £40 a month but I'm sure it pays for itself.

Back