• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Urgent advice/oppinions please.. 30% weightloss!!!!

Anniebirdy

Alpha Buck
Took my Benjamin MacBunnington the First to vet tonight. My own vets wern't available so I thought I'd give a different vet a go rather than do nothing.
Anyway, Benj hasn't been quite himself this last few days. Quieter, somewhat lethargic, and yesterday during a thorough examination I saw he was drooling slightly from one side of his mouth, so made appt first thing and took him down today.
Vet checked his teeth, said they slightly burred at back but didnt think it was enough to warrant anaesthetic at this point. Then he weighed him, 2.6kg. I was taken aback, and said weigh him again, his last weight was just under 3.8kg!!!!! Weighed again, and yes, 2.6!!!!!
Vet didnt seem concerned and discharged him with heavy dose of baytril.
I WAS concerned, VERY concerned, and started checking online the minute I got home.
10% weightloss seems to be considered serious. Benj, my poor Benj has lost around 30%!!
Ringing back first thing when my usual vet is there.
This is badly wrong isn't it. All I can think is Benjamin is dying, for whatever reason, whatever has gone so drastically and quietly wrong, I think he's going to slip away.
I know Ive been hit by a wave of panic, but it's not unjustified is it, I know :cry:

How scary for you, I hope he's alright, off to your normal vets tomorrow? Hope they are more reassuring.

can I just say - that not all scales are accurate and the same, I have taken my (human!) baby to several weigh ins, and know that some of the scales read heavier than others - so part of this could be down to using different scales to normal, though such a huge difference probably isn't just down to that.

How scary for you, I hope he's alright, off to your normal vets tomorrow? Hope they are more reassuring.

can I just say - that not all scales are accurate and the same, I have taken my (human!) baby to several weigh ins, and know that some of the scales read heavier than others - so part of this could be down to using different scales to normal, though such a huge difference probably isn't just down to that.

Thankyou for reply. Yes, going to go back tomorrow. It was my normal surgery, but a different vet. I feel sick inside.

Thankyou for reply. Yes, going to go back tomorrow. It was my normal surgery, but a different vet. I feel sick inside.

Yes, I'd be feeling sick inside too. What a worry. Try not to look on the dark side, though - your own (presumably more rabbit-savvy) vet may well come up with some ideas to help.

No wonder you got a fright. Did the vet even check his teeth to see if he was having trouble eating? I hope your own vet is more helpful tomorrow.

Yes, I'd be feeling sick inside too. What a worry. Try not to look on the dark side, though - your own (presumably more rabbit-savvy) vet may well come up with some ideas to help.

I am hoping so, hoping and praying! Benjamin has been granted so many miracles, been so close to the edge so many times (He's a rescue bunny) but this weight loss is huge.

No wonder you got a fright. Did the vet even check his teeth to see if he was having trouble eating? I hope your own vet is more helpful tomorrow.
Yes, vet checked his teeth, said they not perfect, slight burring on back teeth, but didn't think it was enough to put him under and the risks involved.
He sent us home with Baytril and told me to carry on treating him with the metacam (I started that yesterday as soon as I saw the drooling, guessing it may be tooth pain)
I just cant get my head around that he sent us home, when 10% weight loss is considered serious and requires urgent veterinary consultation :(
If that's the case, what hope is there for 30% :(

It depends when you last weighed him. If it was 6 months ago it might not be a huge problem, I've seen quite big variations between seasons. If it's over a few weeks yes I would be worried too but it doesn't necessarily mean he's dying. Hopefully your normal vet can help more.

It depends when you last weighed him. If it was 6 months ago it might not be a huge problem, I've seen quite big variations between seasons. If it's over a few weeks yes I would be worried too but it doesn't necessarily mean he's dying. Hopefully your normal vet can help more.

It was 7 - 8 weeks ago. His regular vet filed a couple of burrs down on a rear molar when I took his wife in for her check-up. (I always take them together)
He's had so many problems and traumas in his life and Ive always been concerned that maybe one day it would all take it's toll on him, but he has always somehow fought back, if not bounced back.

I would suggest that it is very likely to be Dental related. It is impossible to get a full and accurate view of all of a Rabbit's mouth whilst they are awake.

What is his poo and wee output like and is he drinking excessively ? What about eating, any changes in what or how he eats ?

I would suggest that it is very likely to be Dental related. It is impossible to get a full and accurate view of all of a Rabbit's mouth whilst they are awake.

What is his poo and wee output like and is he drinking excessively ? What about eating, any changes in what or how he eats ?

Eating normally, drinking more Jane. His usual vet is so good with him he can even file his back teeth while he is awake. Difficult to tell wee's and poo's prior to tonight because he's always with Little Marge and they both so toilet trained it's hard to tell who's done what. Been looking straight into the tray tonight though as soon as Benj has been in, and although not diarrhea, he's produced a couple of large soft piles instead of the normal curranty ones. Seen a couple of them over last couple of days but didn't know which bun was the proud owner until watching them like a hawk tonight. Definitely Benjamins.

Eating normally, drinking more Jane. His usual vet is so good with him he can even file his back teeth while he is awake. Difficult to tell wee's and poo's prior to tonight because he's always with Little Marge and they both so toilet trained it's hard to tell who's done what. Been looking straight into the tray tonight though as soon as Benj has been in, and although not diarrhea, he's produced a couple of large soft piles instead of the normal curranty ones. Seen a couple of them over last couple of days but didn't know which bun was the proud owner until watching them like a hawk tonight. Definitely Benjamins.

I'd still put money on it being Dental related. As I said before, the inside of a Rabbit's mouth can only be fully examined when the Rabbit is under GA. This is no reflection on the competence of the Vet, merely a fact due to the internal structure of a Rabbit's mouth.

Is his mandible tender/lumpy ? Any ocular discharge, especially soon after eating ?

Is his mandible tender/lumpy ? Any ocular discharge, especially soon after eating ?

He's never liked his face touched really jane, other than in a stroking action. Any 'probing' type action and he jumps a mile at first, then calms down. But, he did have a damaged jaw when he first came to me, so I think its probably a memory thing, you know? He just seems to be constantly wet on one side, not noticeably after eating, just all the time since I saw it yesterday. It dosent smell. It's only a smallish patch of wet, front edge of his right side of his mouth. I just cant wait to get him seen by his regular vet. I know they wont anaesthetise Benj unless absolutely necessary because of his poor reaction last time, but I know it's also a high risk that I may have to take. He cant suffer and deteriorate no matter what the risk of investigation carries though.

ETA : Sorry, no sign of swelling on or near mandible

Anniebirdie - If your usual vet is not available, Alan Humphries in Liverpool is supposed to be very good (if he is not already your usual vet), alternatively Molly Varga is at Cheshire Pets in Holmes Chapel.

Anniebirdie - If your usual vet is not available, Alan Humphries in Liverpool is supposed to be very good (if he is not already your usual vet), alternatively Molly Varga is at Cheshire Pets in Holmes Chapel.

Alan is probably the only vet other than my regular vets that I'd trust to be honest bunny babe, I do like him very much, thankyou for the reminder about him. Have heard of Mollie varga, good things too. Hopefully I will be seeing my vet tomorrow, him and his two main parteners have tended to Benjamin since he came to me as a broken, damaged little baby.

Good luck, I hope all goes well tomorrow.

If your vet does do a dental it may be worthwhile asking them to do some general x-rays too which may put your mind at rest.

Good luck, I hope all goes well tomorrow.

If your vet does do a dental it may be worthwhile asking them to do some general x-rays too which may put your mind at rest.

Thankyou :)
Am going to ask for bloods, the lot. He may as well have the full works, especially if he is put under sedation. To be honest, I'll be insisting on full works, this has scared the doodah out of me.

:wave:.
Alan is going on holiday for two weeks on Saturday so be quick if you want to see him.
Chris Webster is looking after the place while Alan is away. Chris is a very good vet but not as experienced as Alan. good luck x

Thanks everyone, and Hi Barbara!
Am currently awaiting a phone call from my regular vet. I know he is busy with surgeries today, so trying not to be impatient. Am feeling a bit calmer, but it was such a shock over the weight loss. Because he is heavy coated and moulting like crazy as well, visually, it's hard to see.
Ig his teeth are going to cause these sort of problems for him, I think I'd rather he just had the offending ones out than go through dentals time and again.
I just want him right.

Thanks everyone, and Hi Barbara!
Am currently awaiting a phone call from my regular vet. I know he is busy with surgeries today, so trying not to be impatient. Am feeling a bit calmer, but it was such a shock over the weight loss. Because he is heavy coated and moulting like crazy as well, visually, it's hard to see.
Ig his teeth are going to cause these sort of problems for him, I think I'd rather he just had the offending ones out than go through dentals time and again.
I just want him right.

Thats not necessarily viable in rabbits. Their teeth rely on one another, molar removals are often strongly recommended against.

Has he ever had a dental before?

Back