• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Inside the hutch?

Baildon bears

Warren Scout
After looking through this forum and learning so much in a short space of time, I have noticed most of you don't use saw dust in your hutches, what does everyone do?, I am using saw dust at the moment as thats what I was advised to do but I find the rabbits just kick it as soon as I have put it in out:roll:, I am good at sewing and could wip up some comfy blankets but wondering how ideal it would be with my 11 week old rabbits not potty trained? any advice would be much appriciated. Thanks

When I used to have my rabbits in a hutch (they're free range housebuns now) I used to put a couple of layers of newspapers down first, so using about 10 newspapers, then a thick layer of straw and then tons and tons of hay for them to burrow in and eat.
The hay got topped up once or twice a day depending how much they were eating and how cold it was.

Woodshavings can cause respiratory problems, affecting their breathing and can get stuck their eyes :wave: they're no good for bunnies. You could lino the hutch which a lot of us have done, easy to wipe clean and you can add some blankets in for snuggling and digging :) then a litter tray full of hay to keep mess to a minimum :)

Blankets and towels are easy to wash etc, I change Poppy's every week and have about 3 towels and a blanket on a rota so I have enough for her :) it's just so she doesn't slip on the floor :lol:

If you can get hold of a 32L storage box or large cat litter tray and line it with some newspaper and fill with hay then that will help with litter training :) more hay, more appealing :thumb:

Last edited:
Thankyou guys thats brilliant, my chinese dwalf hamster Mr happy will be pleased he has more sawdust to roll in lol, I will be off to the shops tomorrow :) do you stick lino down on the floor of rabbit hutch or can I just cut it to size and place it in?

Thankyou guys thats brilliant, my chinese dwalf hamster Mr happy will be pleased he has more sawdust to roll in lol, I will be off to the shops tomorrow :) do you stick lino down on the floor of rabbit hutch or can I just cut it to size and place it in?

We used the wide double sided tape :D it's still on there! :lol: just put enough on it will be nice and strong :D

Our roborovski hamster is nearly upgrading to megazorb! Using the last of her woodshavings and covering the top with care fresh as she was sneezing a bit. Only twice so I think it was a bit dusty. Moving her off that soon then no more woodshavings in the house!: lol:

I found sawdust to be a waste of money. It wasn't that absorbent and I hated getting bits in my eyes when I was cleaning them out.

Since yours aren't litter trained I would cover the bottom of the hutch in newspapers (30p each on weekdays ;) bargain) and then put some cheap bedding hay over that for a nice comfy bed. This helps double as food to eat too if they feel like it :wave:

For fleece bedding it really depends on how much your rabbit chews. I know my rabbits would ruin any fabric so I just stick to hay lol

We use Lino that is bigger than our cage because they loved to chew it and it's obviously not good for their little tummys, I put a layer of newspaper on top of that and I have a ledge with 2towels on and that's where they sleep. I've got a big underbed storage box with newspaper in and a bit of sawdust just to soak the wee up a bit, we put Kleenex boxes in full of hay and they love to throw them around :lol::love::love:

Back