• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Our Mini-Lop Cross called 'Flopsy' :)

Dynamitez

New Kit
Male Mini-Lop Cross - (His mam is a Mini Lop crossed with a Lop, and his dad is a Mini Lop). - Born April 23rd 2012. Named Flopsy (One of daughters birthday pressies) but yet another family pet! Which we also have a male Cat and 2 sub-tropical (coldwater) fish tank setups.

We got him the night before daughters birthday, so she woke up to find a rabbit outside in his hutch ready to be greeted. She knew she was getting a rabbit but was so happy to have her own pet. When we got him, he was on a muesli mix, which the breeder gave me a decent bags worth in which i used whilst weening him off it onto Pellets, which i did for 10days or possibly 14, around 2 weeks anyway.

We let our Rabbit in the house aswell as outside to play around which he spends half his day at times. For the first few days the rabbit wouldn't take himself away from the rug in the front room, after about 2-3 days he eventually started binking/running about in the livingroom joined dining room, so good space to zoom about and roam. After 24hours of having him, we introduced him to our Male Cat who is the most loving cat you could ever dream to have. The Cat (name Zippy) wasn't even bothered or interested in the Rabbit and just jumped on the Sofa layed down watching the Rabbit for a bit then just left him to it, most of the time the Rabbit approaches the Cat and he does one! Lol. The Rabbit is often outside in the garden with our male cat who are so loving together although more often than not, the cat runs away from him lol.

Our Hutch: We currently only have a small hutch, will likely get a larger one when he is over 6 months. He is mostly a outdoor rabbit and only in the house an hour or so, he prefers to be outside.The hutch is placed in a shaded area where it wont get hampered scoiling hot by the Sun, to prevent him sweating or getting dehydrated.

Hutch Bedding: Would never use sawdust or wood shavings, horrible, sometimes dusty and messy! We use proper hardened+soft bedding straw, a nice amount to be in the hidden area of the hutch where he likely rests. I don't cover the other area as he ends up moving the straw himself at times to meet his approval i guess.

Garden: Rabbits has a very shaded place to lay and rest, behind the garden walls, under the hutch, underneather the massive Lavender plants and under my evergreen trees, our rabbit LOVES hiding underneath our Lavender plants. He also eats the lavender strands as they are nice and hard similar to hard hay but more stronger which is great for their teeth. He also loves to rub himself and lay on top and underneath the Lavender plants as it's supposedly believed they use the fragrance as a way of making them smell nice and to help attract a female. Our male is a lone rabbit yet he most definitely does do this, so it's true. I do not use weed killer or treat anything in my garden other than water/rain. Iv'e checked and nothing in my garden is toxic to the rabbit and he eats mostly every plant in it.
The garden is escape safe so he cannot try leaving us!

Food: The rabbit has have constant access to various Hay, He has become a "hay snob" and will only pick out and eat certain bits of the hay unless he has no form of other food on offer for a good while, so we sometimes restrict him from going in the garden or giving him pellets so he has no choice but to gobble it all up.
Since we've had him, we give him a good amount of pellets or (3/4 of a cup or so, after 6 months i'll reduce the amount by a third or half or so.

Water: Has Clean tap water available at all times too, He has a bottle in the hutch as-well as a Cat water dispenser (which is tightly locked into the corner opposite his rabbit litter pan) in-case the ball on the bottle gets stuck which sometimes happens. I Change the water every 48hours, many people say every 24hours, but I tend not too.

Cleaning:
I Clean the rabbits dirt every day, the rabbit chose his certain corner where he prefers to do his urine/pooh, so he basicly litter trained himself in the first day i put his pan into his hutch, we use a long john litter pan, i just put his droppings and soaked urine onto the newspaper. And he was away with using it, we aren't having that much look in the house, he tends to pooh and urine in another long john litter pan we have aswell as mostly just dropping his poops and urine near it on the laminate floor, grr.
I Give the hutch a disinfecting every week. If the bedding straw is clean still, then I re-use some of it, but replace it every 2 weeks.

Teeth: I check his teeth every week or so to make sure they are the same length and aligned alright. I do this by placing my thumb and the finger next to it on both the rabbits mouth (whisker area) and lightly lift up, cant sometimes see the bottom teeth so i have to use my other hands finger to push his lip down, he doesn't like that and shakes his head so i let go lol
I know that rabbits teeth can be misaligned via the genes of the rabbit or have been misaligned via biting the wire on the hutch. He doesn't do that so it's ok.
Gnawing/(Wearing teeth down) I know Rabbits teeth can grow upto 2mm every week. This is an important subject to get right, so he gnaws his teeth via a few means, mostly by eating Hay and grass. Grass when examined under a microscope looks like a Saw with pure jagged edges which work wonders on the teeth providing your rabbits teeth are aligned correctly (in which thankfully, his are!).
He has a sweet gnawing block available to bite in his hutch as-well as wooden blocks and Willow balls/rolls of willow wood rapped together.

Attention & Affection: We try and give him attention every day, he doesn't like being picked up much and prefers to stay firmly on the ground and interact with us that way. This is obvious considering in the wild they are afraid of heights and are always threatened with the danger of predators.

Binking: After the first 2 days of having him, he started binking, i didn't even know what that was or meant so i searched it up haha. He jumps about twisting his body and suddenly runs and stops fast etc. This is called binking and is a sign that the rabbit feels comfortable in the surroundings and is excited and enjoying life, he does this in the house and in the garden so it's a good sign for us and it's enjoyable to see.

Handling: To pick up our rabbit, we approach him slowly and stroke him slowly/softly (from top of his head, through shoulders downwards to (back hind legs), never over his eyes so he cannot see). Then put a right hand or few fingers behind his front legs/shoulders and left hand underneath his bottom, this is the safest way to hold the bunny so i read and honestly it feels most comfortable to us too. If we intend to try and cuddle him we make sure to press him safely and supported over our chest so he isn't feeling too scared as being picked up is unpleasant enough as it is.
I know about Rabbits kicking out and that they can easily break their spine, usually caused by mishandling, or being scared and they may well run into a wall or something.

Nails: Our male rabbits gets good exercise on the grass and pavement, so his nails are i good shape and not too sharp.

People think a Rabbit is a easy pet to have, boy how wrong thoughts of that can be! We use too. :|

Anyway, Here are a couple of shots of our Male Mini-Lop called Flopsy. :)

Enjoy!

First few days of having him, looking thin.
169364_10151874420155232_1261765935_o.jpg

338893_10151923383850232_1015145261_o.jpg

457093_10151867736860232_902950301_o.jpg

After about 2-3 weeks, filling out, growing allot bigger in stature and more thicker fur coat.
290044_10151923386670232_1612200633_o.jpg

621495_10151967466985232_1608379531_o.jpg

319482_10151967467370232_422212079_n.jpg

473593_10151983538325232_500444663_o.jpg

620492_10151983538020232_1482218631_o.jpg

Last edited:
Awww he is so beautiful, love his ears!

And he looks like he has really long legs in that picture where he is all stretched out!

Oh my gosh is he gorgeous!!! But yes I would say he needs a MUCH bigger hutch ASAP actually :( glad to see he has lots of time to free range though :)

Hi :wave: gorgeous :love: yep, as that hutch is very small, I would say big hutch, big attached run as soon as you can, it is important :thumb: rabbits are very active animals, they are usually awake when we are asleep so offering space so they can use it when they want is best :) 6ft x 2ft hutch is minimum and 6 x 8 run, although I have 6 x 4 run with attached 7 x 3 run :) if you look in the housing sticky thread it has playhouse conversions and shed conversions which are fab :thumb:

Have you thought about spaying/neutering and vaccinating? This is good for bunnies as it removes the risk of uterine cancer in females :) it also means bunny can have a companion, which rabbits love as they are very social animals. There a 35,000+ in rescues and they sometimes to bonding for you so that might be something to look into :wave:

Awww he is so beautiful, love his ears!

And he looks like he has really long legs in that picture where he is all stretched out!
In that particular picture he looks like a BUDGIE pmsl! He is a real cutie like lol, such a innocent looking chap lol.

Oh my gosh is he gorgeous!!! But yes I would say he needs a MUCH bigger hutch ASAP actually :( glad to see he has lots of time to free range though :)
Yeah i know, like i said i'll be getting him a large hutch with a run sometime soon, possibly be around the 6 month of age mark though as my funds are tied up paying for our holidays/wedding next year etc. This is why we let him outside in the garden for ours on end. He comes and goes in the hutch as he places, although 2 days in a row he has been caught up in a big rain storm and he got wet a fair bit, not down to the skin though, he could quite easily of went back in hit hutch or under it etc, but decided to stay under the lavender plants which seems to be his favorite place. I'm not a fan anymore haha, theirs usually about 10 Bees at a time on them and they look like they all want to sting me lol. I cant wait till our Pumpkins have finished growing in late September, all the pumpkin vines have took over half of the garden! The pumpkin vines/growing fruits are the only plants in the garden he doesn't eat, although he does eat the stringy bits that grow from the vines that tie themselves onto grass or surrounding plants to help strengthen the vine from moving etc. Little ******! :)
Hi :wave: gorgeous :love: yep, as that hutch is very small, I would say big hutch, big attached run as soon as you can, it is important :thumb: rabbits are very active animals, they are usually awake when we are asleep so offering space so they can use it when they want is best :) 6ft x 2ft hutch is minimum and 6 x 8 run, although I have 6 x 4 run with attached 7 x 3 run :) if you look in the housing sticky thread it has playhouse conversions and shed conversions which are fab :thumb:

Have you thought about spaying/neutering and vaccinating? This is good for bunnies as it removes the risk of uterine cancer in females :) it also means bunny can have a companion, which rabbits love as they are very social animals. There a 35,000+ in rescues and they sometimes to bonding for you so that might be something to look into :wave:
Yeah I know, thanx for the heads up, yea i'll be getting him neutered at around the 6 month mark too, i'll be ringing PDSA vets next week to book, usually 6 week waiting lists for things like that, was with our cats, we originally had 3, unless people cancel then you can get in quick... Uhmm i don't think we will get another Lop, we were originally going to get 2 brothers from the same litter but decided against it and went for the one. We hope he has a good life alone with the surroundings he's got. :)

I do feel **** about him having a small hutch to tide him over for now but it's all we can have for the moment. Atleast rabbits aren't like fish where they can become stunted if in a small tank, phew!

Back