• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Albus Dumbledore probably on his last days

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
:(:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Some of you may recall we took two very loving and docile 5 year old male buns a couple of months ago in a 'direct' rescue/rehome.

They were meant to be moving on from us but within a couple of weeks Albus (who is the most lovely and trusting bun ever) was found to have a gut issue with lumps of poo just laying in the caecum -

we have been trying to treat it with cisipride etc (he has been to the vets once a week to re-assesss etc etc for the last two months) but it has not been successful and although the gut is too full of gas etc to really see anything clearly it has become obvious that his problems are of longer standing and probably involve a tumour or other problem that stops anything coming through..

He does not appear in any pain (he is on pain killer in case) but is loosing weight.

This morning we noticed his tum was tighter again and a vet trip revealed that he now has fluid in the abdomen - again pretty much pointing towards a tumour now spreading to liver etc.

he is back home with Frusol to try and take some fluid off (and she syringed some to look at), but basically this poor little mite's days are numbered in single figures - as soon as his breathing starts to deteriorate then he will be put out of any pain.

it is heartbreaking to look at his accepting and loving little face and know that.

I can only be glad that he knew a lovely home and some freedom to run with his lifelong friend Fudge for at least a couple of months before the end. He also made friends with Parsley and Peaches

So sad - I dont usually well up like this but he is just the most accepting and adorable bun - and he is still eating like mad - I wish I could take away the death sentence of whatever he has wrong inside, but I can't.

Even when he first came the vet thought he would not survive opening him up - and that whatever was wrong was probably incurable.

His friend Fudge will be devastated.

ramble over.

Added a photo when he first came to us (Fudge in background)

a25691a2.jpg

EDIT:

I am debating with myself whether, if he is still with us by Weds, we should ask the vet if she thinks there is a trillion to one chance that opening him up might after all reveal something removable.

There is really nothing to loose now. It would really be the same as a planned PTS combined with post mortem . . . (it has to be Weds as that is when she is next in - she saw my partner today but I know already she feels Albus is really inoperable - but I feel I should just try even if its a trillion to one)

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear that :(

I hope his final time with you is peaceful and as loving as it can be :)

Oh no! That's horrible. So sorry you can't fix him :(

somehow it seems so unbelievable . . .

I think its because we have managed (so far) to overcome everything that was so non-overcomeable with Parsley it seems so very cruel not to be able to do anything for Albus . . :cry:

I guess we have just been so very lucky being able to 'do something' for so many of our buns. I am reminded though of Teasal who, when his heart ballooned out at age c.9, there was absolutely nothing we could do and he was gone in 48 hours:cry:.

Oh how sad :cry:
Poor little fellow, though at least HE doesn't know his days are numbered. I shall be asking for a miracle for him:love:

I have asked and asked - but I guess we have used up all our miracles.

I am debating with myself whether, if he is still with us by Weds, we should ask the vet if she thinks there is a trillion to one chance that opening him up might after all reveal something removable.

There is really nothing to loose now. It would really be the same as a planned PTS . . . (it has to be Weds as that is when she is next in - she saw my partner today but I know already she feels Albus is really inoperable - but I feel I should just try even if its a trillion to one)

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear this - I remember thinking about rehoming these lovely boys. I'm glad he's had all your love, and hope he enjoys his last few days, now is time to pull out the carrots I think :)

I have asked and asked - but I guess we have used up all our miracles.

There is really nothing to loose now. It would really be the same as a planned PTS . . . (it has to be Weds as that is when she is next in - she saw my partner today but I know already she feels Albus is really inoperable - but I feel I should just try even if its a trillion to one)

I nearly suggested that, but didn't want to cross a line as I know it is such a highly emotional thing. I personally would give it a shot because 1.) there is that tiny chance, 2.) You will ALWAYS wonder 'what if' if you don't and 3.) If it doesn't work then he can just be allowed to slip away.
But you must do what in your heart of heart feels right, my thoughts are with you :love:

I am certain that what ever time Albus has left with you, it will be spent being surrounded by love, care and much attention.

Thinking of you and Albus. xxx

Back