• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please some advice re preloved rabbit

catherine09

Mama Doe
I don't look on preloved - it upsets me too much. However I'm looking for a 6ft spare hutch at the moment so went on.

Advert for a NZW - 3 years old. Picture is of her, she looks urine stained on her back and terrified/miserable. Next picture is one of her in a tiny 3ft double, she basically takes up most of one level just by sitting.

Says in advert that she is timid and probably shouldn't have any more litters as she has had 4 already :cry:

I really want to get her, quarantine, vaccinate, spay and find a new home. I would be financing this myself unless I could get rescue backup (unlikely). Is that a really bad idea? :?

I don't know what to do, this one really upset me

How awful :( Poor girl :cry:

I would. But that's me and I could. Do whatever you feel will be okay for you. What a particularly terrible case though :( We can't save them all xx

Last edited:
I don't look on preloved - it upsets me too much. However I'm looking for a 6ft spare hutch at the moment so went on.

Advert for a NZW - 3 years old. Picture is of her, she looks urine stained on her back and terrified/miserable. Next picture is one of her in a tiny 3ft double, she basically takes up most of one level just by sitting.

Says in advert that she is timid and probably shouldn't have any more litters as she has had 4 already :cry:

I really want to get her, quarantine, vaccinate, spay and find a new home. I would be financing this myself unless I could get rescue backup (unlikely). Is that a really bad idea? :?

I don't know what to do, this one really upset me

that;s not a bad idea. It would certainly give you peace of mind, it's hard to ignore once seen IMO. If you would really struggle moneywise, could you speak to a local rescue for some help, like a collaboration of efforts?

I've sent her a message, she probably won't respond :(

She wants £60 for rabbit and hutch, I politely explained to her the costs involved in making her ready for adoption and the potential home that could be found for her, and then explained why I can't pay the £60 she wants for her.

I guess if she actually cares about the rabbit, she will respond to me. If she only cares about the money, she won't.

Got everything crossed

that;s not a bad idea. It would certainly give you peace of mind, it's hard to ignore once seen IMO. If you would really struggle moneywise, could you speak to a local rescue for some help, like a collaboration of efforts?

I think all local rescues are just so full up and struggling on funds anyway :(

I've sent her a message, she probably won't respond :(

She wants £60 for rabbit and hutch, I politely explained to her the costs involved in making her ready for adoption and the potential home that could be found for her, and then explained why I can't pay the £60 she wants for her.

I guess if she actually cares about the rabbit, she will respond to me. If she only cares about the money, she won't.

Got everything crossed

Just keep thinking about that, if she doesn't respond then there is nothing you could have done xx I have many rabbits on my mind sometimes that I couldn't have helped at the time which is hard but not all bunnies are as lucky as others :(

thats true but their in house vet may charge you a lot less

Don't count on it! Most rescues still use a private vet just the same as you or I, and as the vet still has bills and staff to pay, they often aren't able to do significant discounts.

It's a really tough one Catherine. If you are capable (I'm sure you are), have somewhere suitable to quarantine her away from your own, can afford to take her on and are prepared for a potentially long haul of vet bills and care before rehoming, then why not? Taking a rabbit for rehoming is something that I've done several times in the past and it is incredibly rewarding..although not without fear and trepidation as you're never really sure what you're taking on! If you're not able to do so, then it sounds as if it could be one to pass on to the team who deal with freeads.

She probably won't get £60 for the rabbit and hutch anyway so if it is the money she's interested in, she might tell you to go away initially, but may well come back at a later date when she realises that people generally won't pay that for a second hand hutch with 3 year old bunny!

I just looked on there and there are so so so many free rabbits in my area (as im sure is the same with all areas :( ) in pariicular down the road there is a trio family of conti crosses free to a good home :( I hate to think what kind of sized accomodation they might end up in :( They currently live in a 2 story hutch.

Was tempted to message but im not a member so cant :(

Don't count on it! Most rescues still use a private vet just the same as you or I, and as the vet still has bills and staff to pay, they often aren't able to do significant discounts.

It's a really tough one Catherine. If you are capable (I'm sure you are), have somewhere suitable to quarantine her away from your own, can afford to take her on and are prepared for a potentially long haul of vet bills and care before rehoming, then why not? Taking a rabbit for rehoming is something that I've done several times in the past and it is incredibly rewarding..although not without fear and trepidation as you're never really sure what you're taking on! If you're not able to do so, then it sounds as if it could be one to pass on to the team who deal with freeads.

She probably won't get £60 for the rabbit and hutch anyway so if it is the money she's interested in, she might tell you to go away initially, but may well come back at a later date when she realises that people generally won't pay that for a second hand hutch with 3 year old bunny!

Thanks - it's a tough one as me and OH have just started renting a house and I start a new job at the end of this month - so whilst I have the space available to house her (she can go in my spare 8ft hutch) it's difficult to know how much money I could spare right now. I could afford vaccs and neutering just about, and there is a lot of nettles at home that I could dry and try to raise some money with, alongside an apple, pear and hawthorn tree which are being cut down soon that I could use for branches and leaves. It's just the worry of additional costs for any dental problems etc (I doubt she is fed hay!)

I know a couple of local rescues that might consider helping me advertise/rehome her when the time comes but I would feel bad asking for financial help.

:thumb:

I can only agree with what Santa has said really - if you have the funds, time and space to do it, then go for it. :D:thumb: If you don't, then (as hard as it is) you would be better either just giving her some friendly advice on rehoming etc or passing it on to the Free Ads team so that they can. Unfortunately, there's no way of predicting how much you're likely to spend in vet fees - she could be perfectly healthy or she could turn out to have serious issues. :?

I tend to avoid free ad sites now purely because:
a) I don't have the space or money myself to help
b) I wouldn't want to place the burden on a rescue either - they already have waiting lists as long as their arm. :(

Nothing as yet. I think I went in too strong with the whole 'I'm not paying and this is why....' speech :( :(

I wish she would care.....

Sorry I haven't updated this thread for a while..

Basically the woman emailed me back eventually being quite rude and saying that her rabbit was well looked after and was happy without vaccinations and neutering and happy in the hutch.....:roll:

I emailed back stating the dangers of not spaying 3 yr old females, not vaccinating and what leaving a large breed in a 3ft hutch could do. I never thought I'd hear back from her again, and didn't for nearly an entire week.

However today I received an email out of the blue from her saying would I like to go and see Snowy to see her....probably because she can't sell her for £60 :?

Thinking about what to do now.....:)

My NZ was kept in a 3foot hutch (although he couldn't fit through the gap to the bed bit, so it was actually a 2 foot hutch) and he has permanent leg damage because of it, his front legs are bent where he couldn't lie properly. We will only know with timeexactly what damage it may have done to his legs and/or back.
If you are able to do it, taking this bun would totally transform her life. And in this weather she is at very high risk of flystrike obviously if she is dirty.
It's hard because you can't rescue them all :cry:

Last edited:
I took on a bun recently and do far he's cost me 250quid. I'm not saying don't- cos luke has been worth every penny, but just bear in mind that a poorly treated bun may be costly

i would take her - but then thats me . .

I know that if I did not I would always wonder what happened to her . . .

Emailed to sot out going to get her, only for her to come back and say she had been sold with her hutch (the 3ft one) to a new owner.

Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

So angry and upset, especially as I had been in contact with a rescue to try and get help with advertising her for rehome once she was ready, all for nothing :(

I simply cannot believe how idiotic, irresponsible and un-compassionate some humans are, only interested in money rather than the welfare of their animal.

Last edited:
Back