• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Territorial Behavior

Bluexx

Young Bun
Hi

My 2 rabbits have been living together for a month now. They are male and female both been done, they are 5 and a half years old.

I am a bit worried about my females behavior, she is quite territorial towards my male rabbit, everytime he goes near her she nips him, they are hardly together in the hutch, she is always down stairs and he is always upstairs, it always seems to be when I go near the hutch, she gets very territorial and starts nipping him, I don't know if it's because she thinks I am bringing food, and she wants to be first to eat all the food.

I feed them separately as well, because i am worried that she will eat all the food, and my male will have nothing.

They get along fine when they are in the Run together in the daytime, they sit together and eat grass together, it's just when they are in the hutch together, I am worried incase she is bullying my male rabbit.

What's the best thing to do, because I am quite worried.

Not sure, but maybe blitzing the hutch with vinegar and disinfectant repeatedly while they're in the run might help, then letting it dry out for the rest of the day before they go back in. Washing whatever blankets/towels they may have and cleaning their litter tray too if they have one. So it becomes neutral for them again :) What size hutch is it?

Its a double hutch with a ladder etc. It's 5 foot long. They have plenty of space. I am just really worried, my male rabbit Zac, is getting bullied.

Its a double hutch with a ladder etc. It's 5 foot long. They have plenty of space. I am just really worried, my male rabbit Zac, is getting bullied.

Was just wondering if it might have been too small for them so she felt like she couldn't get away :wave: My pair are never together in the day :lol: Lola is always in the run and Donny in the hutch (with a 6ft run separating them! :lol:)

Could their run be attached in anyway? Some extra toys maybe, more stimulation of the mind might help her by giving her something else to think about. If it was me though, I would totally scrub the hutch and litter trays, food bowls and whatever to see if it helped :)

Hopefully someone will come along with better advice, mines a bit pants :lol:

No it's not :D any advise is great. I will go and get some vinegar and give it a good scrub. :D

It definatly sounds like its the hutch she is territorial over, so I agree with the idea of vinegaring and making it as neutral as possible.

She may also be abit bored and frustrated in the hutch, thus making her behaviour worse. She may feel threatened by him, and as shes unable to get away from him in the hutch she attacks him. There are a few possibilities.

Is there anyway you could perhaps plan for a larger hutch or, even better, a shed/playhouse for the future? Not only would that be totally neutral territory, it would also give them more space :)

We cant afford to get a new hutch. :( the hutch is big enough for them to have there own space. I will definitely scrub it with vinegar though, is white vinegar the best.

Back