• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Now Treacle isn't right- she's gone.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Treacle is 8.5 and has a large kidney stone, she was very wet a couple of weeks ago, which prompted the investigation that found the kidney stone. She improved and has been well but today she did not come out of the litter tray for breakfast. She has 2 water bottles and a bowl- one bottle was dry, as was the bowl. When i filled up the bowl she took a long drink, nibbled a bit of food and went back to the litter try. I offered her some carrot and she tucked into it, but its not like her, she usually wolfs into breakfast.
I'll not take her to the vey yet but will talk to him while at work, in honesty there isn't much left they can do, we want to avoid using metacam because it will put strain on her kidneys but if she is sore we will have to try something, however according to the vet school the stone shouldn't be very sore.
Milly is also looking very frail generally, she has e.c issues, which have lead to renal issues and cataracts she also has dental issues.

I am scared I'm going to lose them all.

Last edited:
Poor Treacle :cry: Some sub cut fluids or IVs may help her feel better. She sounds to be in renal failure which will make her feel rubbish. Getting her back to optimum hydration wont cure her, but it may well make her feel so much better

Lots of vibes being sent.

Yes, I was thinking that too, I've got all the stuff needed here, so will just confirm with the vet and give some.

Her kidney perameters were normal 2 weeks ago, the assumption is that the other kidney has taken over.

It's been warm over the last few days, so I wonder if this has made her a bit groggy.

Poor Snowball looks completely lost this morning.

Last edited:
We sadly lost Treacle this afternoon. I thought she was quiet this morning, but she often was. still she went straight into her food and was relaxed and bright throughout the day. We checked her regularly through the day- our volunteers loved her and often gave her cuddles. I looked in on her at 3 and saw nothing of concern, but one of the volunteers checked her at 5 and she had collapsed. I rushed her to the vet but she was dead by the time I got there.
Treacle was the 'perfect rabbit'- happy, friendly, pretty and cuddly. She would sit on the knees of people in wheelchairs and be petted but handicapped children without being worried about it. Our volunteers loved her and the 2 at the sanctuary today are devastated.
She was one in a million and leaves poor Oddeye, who was devoted to her on his own. I do not know what to do about him, he loved her so much and they have been together nearly 6 years ( I think)

That's so very sad. I am sorry to hear your news.

I'm sure she just decided she'd had enough and gently let go.

Sending you my sympathies, even when you know that your bunnies are frail and failing, it doesn't make it easier when they leave does it, even when they then become pain free.

Binky free Treacle - have fun at the bridge

I can't believe she's gone, in the last few months we have lost 5 rabbits- wicket, thumper, Mitzi, snowy and treacle. All diagnosed conditions but still doesn't make it any easier.

Back