• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Homeless man risks his life to save his pet rabbit

iiisecondcreep

Alpha Buck
Sorry if this is a repost, I had a quick look and couldn't see another post for it.

http://www.dogheirs.com/tamara/posts/1613-homeless-man-risks-his-life-to-save-pet-he-calls-his-child

John Byrne is a well known and liked man who lives on a bridge in Dublin, Ireland and keeps two pets: a Jack Russell Terrier and a rabbit. They are his companions and rarely leave his side.

One evening an 18 year old man decided to commit a horrible act of animal cruelty by stealing John's rabbit and tossing it into the River Liffey.

John jumped to the rescue of his beloved rabbit named Barney, and risked his life to brave the freezing river.

Hasn't he been offered a job and loads of pet food for his act?

I could be wrong but I think I read it yesterday somewhere... But can't find the article now!!

Absolutely amazing, this man's devotion to his animals. I hope he gets the support and help he needs with his life x

Trying not to cry on the bus reading that. :love: All the comments say they want to start a fund for him.

This is simply amazing! Anyone who's been to Dublin knows how big the Liffey is and how fast it can flow. It's absolutely incredible he managed to jump in and get to Barney and even more of a miracle that Barney survived!!! I'd love to know John Byrne's story how he came to be homeless and with a rabbit!!

So glad he rescued barney. Honest to god there's some proper scum on this earth isn't there?!! As if he's not got a hard life enough, but to have someone throw his little bunny inthe river is disgusting. Scum of the earth these people.

Well done john, i hope you get the help you deserve :)

Poor Barney though, although his owner obviously loves him alot and Im sure looks after him as best he can, its no life for a rabbit :( A dog would cope to an extent, but a rabbit? :(

If only he had been given a supply of hay rather than carrots :(

What an incredibly, brave and kind man! So wonderful it ended with a happy story, what ******** could throw a rabbit in the river?! So pleased John and Barney are ok.

Poor Barney though, although his owner obviously loves him alot and Im sure looks after him as best he can, its no life for a rabbit :( A dog would cope to an extent, but a rabbit? :(

If only he had been given a supply of hay rather than carrots :(

He probably has a better life than most backyard bunnies imprisoned all alone in a 3ft box for eternity.
Well done to the guy - I'd have jumped in too - no second thoughts.

God love him

Reading that has left me in tears what a wonderful man and how lucky that he managed to see the rabbit to save it Bless him.

And what a nasty :censored: to take his rabbit and throw it in the river in the first place :evil:

Hope this man finds a home and a pet store kindly donates some bunny stuff for him .

Amazing man! What a hero! Yes bunnies are like children :)
But throwing a bunny into a river - that deserves a life sentence in my eyes! Ughhh some people make me sick! :censored:

I shed a tear. In those situations all you have in your life are your companions, in this case a rabbit and a dog. So glad they were ok. Shows he has real compassion.

As for the vile piece of :censored: that threw him in the river I hoped he got exactly what he desreved. God knows if someone did that to my rabbit I would hunt them down, cut off their hands and feet and throw them in the river.

Also I found this comment;

"Good news! Some nice guy offered Mr. Byrne and his pets a job and accomodation at a pet farm in Co. Cork. Happy ending for everybody! :D"

Last edited:
Back