• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

chloramphenicol for Mimzy-U/D Aug 7-discontinued

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
Just wondering if anyone else has experience with this drug and what kind of results you've seen?
I know Judy (thumps_) you've used this in human medicine and if you see this I'd like to PM you regarding the handling protocols for the drug and whatever special needs there may be for Mimzy himself and his wastes/bedding as far as residue is concerned.
Many thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Last edited:
I've used the eye drops for eye infections in my buns. I've also used the eye drops applied in the ears for ear infections.

Is it only used for the eyes there? Mimzy is on the oral suspension for another 11 days. The handling protocols are driving me nuts.
What kind of special precautions do you all have to take?

I have never used it other than in an eye drop treatment. In fact I am using it for myself at the moment as I have conjunctivitis.

I think just reasonable hand washing precautions will suffice as far as your situation goes. If you read all the 'worse case scenario' data on many drug treatments and took them to be an inevitability then no-one would ever use any pharmacological product at all.

Just wash your hands after administer the meds and after handling Mimz or his bedding/litter tray etc.

I would certainly not be wearing a mask and protective clothing :)

Oh Jane, thank you for saying that! :) Yeah, I'm guessing anyone watching me read all the stuff on the internet about this is seeing my face look like this :shock:.

I dread each treatment I have to give him even though we have successfully used this drug on him before. That was years ago though and he didn't require as much handling. I don't know why it is bugging me so much this time. Perhaps because I do have to touch his face so much more now due to the tilt, it is hard to get the meds in...although I have yet to see spillage except for his meclazine that he likes to try to dribble out. :(
I actually woke up nauseous and panicky this morning anticipating his dose. Then realized this evening after almost fainting in the supermarket that all the stress has probably made me sick. :(

I do wear gloves but recently added a small mask due to the strong smell of the drug...it really does make me queasy. :oops:

Mimzy is showing signs of inappetance and has eaten hardly any hay all day. I'm trying to supplement with fresh long grass but don't want to bloat his tum. He also still puts away quite a few dandelion leaves.
Not many poos today as a result. :( Worrisome.

He is also incontinent/not using his tray again and I have to put towels down for him to walk/wee/poop on. I presume shaking out and washing those with soap and bleach is sufficient? Should I also wash his pen each day?

Should I be concerned at all about his other syringes? Will they be contaminated by whatever has been in his mouth? I only have the four to use and reuse.

I see his nystagmus worsening also...mostly during handling times though. Otherwise he's a bit of a lump. :? Can't tell if he feels better or worse.
Maybe this was the wrong drug choice after all. :(

Oh Jane, thank you for saying that! :) Yeah, I'm guessing anyone watching me read all the stuff on the internet about this is seeing my face look like this :shock:.

I dread each treatment I have to give him even though we have successfully used this drug on him before. That was years ago though and he didn't require as much handling. I don't know why it is bugging me so much this time. Perhaps because I do have to touch his face so much more now due to the tilt, it is hard to get the meds in...although I have yet to see spillage except for his meclazine that he likes to try to dribble out. :(
I actually woke up nauseous and panicky this morning anticipating his dose. Then realized this evening after almost fainting in the supermarket that all the stress has probably made me sick. :(

I do wear gloves but recently added a small mask due to the strong smell of the drug...it really does make me queasy. :oops:

Mimzy is showing signs of inappetance and has eaten hardly any hay all day. I'm trying to supplement with fresh long grass but don't want to bloat his tum. He also still puts away quite a few dandelion leaves.
Not many poos today as a result. :( Worrisome.

He is also incontinent/not using his tray again and I have to put towels down for him to walk/wee/poop on. I presume shaking out and washing those with soap and bleach is sufficient? Should I also wash his pen each day?

Should I be concerned at all about his other syringes? Will they be contaminated by whatever has been in his mouth? I only have the four to use and reuse.

I see his nystagmus worsening also...mostly during handling times though. Otherwise he's a bit of a lump. :? Can't tell if he feels better or worse.
Maybe this was the wrong drug choice after all. :(

To be honest I would personally feel happier giving abx via injection as it really does lessen the risk of gut dysbiosis.

I know you struggle with injections, but would giving a Penicillin Injection be any more stressful than giving the oral CMP ?

Is Mimz able to maintain good hydration ?

If only I could! Sadly it was my OH who used to give Mimzy his injections and even with all his experience we couldn't do them right. Every time we'd go right through or the serum would leak back out. I once shaved Mimzy's back to be certain we got all the pen-g that oozed back out from the injection site.
Even his sub-q fluids don't go in right anymore. I'll poke him and be certain I'm in. A bubble even forms. Then I pull the needle and all 50 mls run down his shoulders. :cry:

And about a week after Mimz took ill, OH left, so.... Moot point. :(
Is it strange that I'd rather risk a deadly disease or at the least constant stress on my part than Mimzy dying from penicillin ingestion?

So far I still see him drink, albeit not as much with all the greens he's eaten. He happily quaffed some carrot top before his meds tonight and then finished the dandies he'd snubbed.
Just saw him grab a morsel of hay but he's just not as interested in it as a few days ago.
Suppose his teeth may be spurred. That would be a problem at this stage.

He's taking in some fluids...if the several wee spots on his towels are any indication.

He is also still on twice a day metaclopromide. I could bump that to every eight hours but it has to be given at least a half hour before or after his other meds so it doesn't push them through his tum too fast to be absorbed. This really elongates his treatment time.
It's almost two a.m. here and I still have work to do. Pip and Fiver are waiting for clean up.
Good thing I had a nap at around 9:30ish! :lol:

Well...that's that...

Mimzy is hardly eating at all today and poos are almost non-existent. Plus he was out so cold after his morning dose I almost couldn't rouse him. Scared me to death.

Phoned vet. She has taken him off the chloramphenicol for a few days. If he responds again and his appetite comes back, we can chalk off this med as well as TMS which he is allergic to.

God only knows where we go from here. :(

He's not a big drinker to begin with but he's eating almost exclusively as many veg as I can offer him. Usually he doesn't drink if he's getting water from his greens.
I have a sub q bag that I can use if needed.
His poos have increased this evening and now, since he's had his other meds and no CMP he seems happier, less sluggish.
In fact he's doing his bunny 500's as I type. :)
I am also much relieved. Somehow this never felt right from the start. I do wonder if we will attempt another round of fenbendazole however.
We'll just see how he goes by the weekend. His best vet is in on Saturday. But she is the one who thinks this is all tumor related (possibly anyway) and she's going to get a bit of starch from me if she just begins with PTS. I still think we're a ways from that yet.

It's a shame the CMP didn't suit him, but you're right to stop it.
'm not sure what you mean by TMS- do you mean Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole?

What about an injectable oxytetracycline, or are injectables out altogether? From memory I think I have found oxytet easier to inject than penicillin as it is less viscous.

Otherwise there is still azithromycin, although I would probably be best to give the guts time to recover first. It did reduce Tippy's appetite but only for about 24 hours.

Is Mimzy on probiotics at the moment? if not they may help xx

It's a shame the CMP didn't suit him, but you're right to stop it.
'm not sure what you mean by TMS- do you mean Trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole?

What about an injectable oxytetracycline, or are injectables out altogether? From memory I think I have found oxytet easier to inject than penicillin as it is less viscous.

Otherwise there is still azithromycin, although I would probably be best to give the guts time to recover first. It did reduce Tippy's appetite but only for about 24 hours.

Is Mimzy on probiotics at the moment? if not they may help xx

Yes, he had a terrible reaction to trimethoprim last year. His eyes went bloodshot, his cecals were runny for the first time in his life, he barely ate and, I think at this point, he went deaf.
Oxytetracycline may not be available here. I've never heard of it. At any rate, can't do injections on him. This is why I chose the CMP.
Sadly, my vet doesn't see the sense in zithromax although it's been brilliant for Mimzy before. Claims it's "not the right drug for the job."" Very frustrating...we've tried all else...how can it NOT be the right abx? :evil:
I have benebac in gel form but it's for birds and reptiles. All my vet carries. Vile stuff. He won't take it and he's stressed out at med time. I'm trying to find the new probiotic for rabbits only.

Back