• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runs on paving slabs - fox-proofing

Kiania

Young Bun
I've got a couple of 8x4 ft runs that are on paving slabs (on sand in a frame) attached to wire tunnels (runaround system's ones) which are connected to the sides of my shed, but I'm worried about foxes getting in underneath the runs. I was wondering how other people do it? Thanks for any replies :)

maybe i'm reading the post wrong, but if your run is on paving slabs isn't that going to be fox proof?

I'm currently building a new enclosure with an aviary and the aviary will be on paving slabs to make it fox proof, the paving slabs will go a bit past the edges of the aviary to prevent anything really trying to dig in. The paving slabs are nice big heavy ones as well :) and i think they will make it pretty darn fox proof :) What type of runs do u have? Just as long as they have a roof and are sturdy I'm sure your set-up would be fine :)

to the run around tunnels have wire on the bottom as well?

Really you need to bolt them to the floor, ideally you would have some sort of mount in the concrete that you can fix the run to. If you can't do that I would lock them in at night rather than just relying on weight alone, animals like foxes are a lot stronger than most people thing.

No wire on the bottom (I'm told that is a bad thing, so we went without), but they do have a roof. Ours will be these: http://www.ukrabbithutches.co.uk/rabbitruns.html (the 8x4ft ones). I could tack wire on the bottom (potentially), then put horse matting on top of the wire, but not sure how practical that is.

No concrete - we're moving in 6 months, so nothing can be put down that will be unmovable (everything is screws rather than nails, including the frame beneath it all and shed itself for this very purpose!).

I doubt the runs will be heavy enough to keep a fox out. My partner (the engineer) suggested drilling holes in the paving slabs to bolt the run to the wooden frame using wire, but since the paving slabs are just set in sand, I can't see that working either.

The run around tunnels don't appear to have wire beneath them, but that is a fairly easy fix I would think.

I'm confused if there on paving slabs how do you think a Fox would get in from below if you bolt the run down?

Mr Fox doesn't have a pneumatic drill :lol:

Edit, provided your runs are bolted to the slabs they should be fine

It is exactly that...how does one bolt a run to paving slabs? I'm going with the fact that the fox can't dig in, but he could (anthromorphising a little here!) stroll up and lift the run off the slabs for a tasty pre-'netted' snackette :)

It is exactly that...how does one bolt a run to paving slabs? I'm going with the fact that the fox can't dig in, but he could (anthromorphising a little here!) stroll up and lift the run off the slabs for a tasty pre-'netted' snackette :)

Well I would guess you drill a hole through put the bolt and washers through then fasten it on the other side. any good diy place should stock what you need

My partner just poo-pooed the bolting (because that would be a flipping pain to do :) ), and suggested drilling holes in the paving slabs and using rawl plugs. Thoughts on this?

All I want is for the runs not to be able to be lifted at a corner enough for a fox to slip under - but I can't find out if a fox could do that or not. Google fails me :)

Righteho, then I shall agree with him :) I've told him that the runs can't lift up more than 5cm, so hopefully he understands this (he is not an animal person, so doesn't really get that this is an important, important thing!)

5cm is too much. Many animals could get under that. I wouldn't be happy with rawl plugs. I would use some kind of concrete style filler/glue that you can get to fix something in there.

Wondering how other people do it now - I'm getting to the point where I say "Sod it!" and no-more-nails the bottom edge of the run to the paving slabs :) Although then we won't be able to move the darn thing in the future.

I think most people put the run on paving slabs and think that that's enough but you're right, it isn't, unless there's no gap and it's way to heavy/secure for a fox to push or lift or squeeze under. I have no idea what to use but Stator's suggestion sounds like a good idea :)

I would wire the bottom of the run, then put the paving slabs inside the run, but that is because i am scared of the hammer action on a drill so wouldn't be able to drill into the slabs:lol:

Okay, my mother (who's primary suggestion rabbit-wise was a 3 foot hutch with a same-sized run underneath it, so bear that in mind when it comes to her suggestions!) suggested roping the run and pinning it down with guyropes and heavy duty pegs.

Is this feasible/daft? Sounds daft to me, but I'm trying to think outside the box :)

Wiring the bottom of the run could be doable (no idea where to get wire from!), but paving slabs can't fit in - they are going in a frame (that fits them) beneath to ensure they are level (the entire structure is being built like this, both runs, shed and all!). Mostly because we don't have a paving slab cutter, and want to save time (and money!). We've just had a delivery date for the shed for the 16th, and the whole thing has to be ready to go for the morning of the 22nd, so a wee bit tight :) But not terrible. We do have a few extra paving slabs to avoid the hammer drill pain :)

Back