• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i dont think i could feel any worse....

Katie1504

Young Bun
I got married 2 weeks ago and of course booked a honeymoon so the rabbits and pigs went on holiday to the I laws at the farm. They have got the exact same set up just in a stable. On the day we were due to fly we lost our first pig. I have since discovered it was mites but I was so upset. We got back the other day and all pets looked brilliant. They are getting spoiled... My husbands brother is autistic and really enjoys looking after them so they have agreed to look after them until we move to our barn in the next few weeks.

I went to check on them today and Smokey and fudge had escaped.... But they were inside so couldn't get abmny where. Theyhad been having play time in the area. However Smokey was hidden under a hutch (not normal) pulled him out and fudge had attacked him and taken the bottom of his ear off!!!!!!!! It looked clean. I washed it well and he had a small wound on the other side. I am gutted and so upset. The are best friends and both have been "done". I even let them see each other and the snuggled together. Have I done something wrong!!??? :(:(

Did Fudge attack him for sure??? It is possible something else was in there and attacked him. It is easy for outside critters to get in. I don't think you did anything wrong but keep both separated. Make sure Smokey is up somewhere. In a stable so he can heal.

I didn't think of something else. This is a good point. The door was closed but only the bottom half of it!!!! They are such good friends so I was really suprised! It just really upset me as well after loosing a pig not long ago. I gave him plenty of fuss and sat giving him a cuddle so I will go up later to see how he is getting on. (I am at work at the moment.)

I'd ring a vet, just in case something wild did it, like a rat, as all farms have some rats. It is unusual for them to attack like that but not unheard of, I know of 3 cases myself, 2 adult rabbits and 1 newborn litter. The adult rabbits got quite ill from it, so I'd ask your vet, just in case.

In the meantime I'd keep the buns apart unless supervised, but so they can see/hear/smell each other, if you can.

I hope your bunnies are okay and can be rebonded soon.

Back