• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best Pellets/Veges for Stasis/Bloat-prone Rabbits?

sonnet

Alpha Buck
What pelleted brand of food and which vegetables/herbs etc would you recommend for stasis/bloat-prone rabbits?

Dylan is recovering at the Vets from his 2nd bloat attack in a week & apart from having a heavy moult I can't work out why it keeps happening :cry:

I'm questioning everything he has, including his pellets & the veges he gets. I know high fibre is the number one thing to aim for so he always has a variety of hays to hand.

What do other bunny mummy's with stasis/bloat-prone buns feed & what should I definately avoid feeding him? Any help appreciated!

Hi. I notice no-one replied so I am bumping this up for you. I have no problem with bloat etc so cannot help you.

Brambles and raspberry leaf are good for statis prone bunnies. I would suspect very high fibre pellets are best for bunnies with statis occurances.

My British Giant bun years ago was prone to upset tummies but she was terrible for eating the 'nice bits' in commercial rabbit foods at that time only and would do this instead of eating plenty of hay. Does Dylan eat loads of hay? My two rabbits now love the long stemmed timothy hay above all else, I get the hay my buns have from www.thehayexperts.co.uk they have a pretty wide choice. I only mention this company as I came across them while searching for the brand of hay my rabbits particularly like, when my local pet shop was out of stock.

I hope this helps....I'd go with the blackberry leaves too, think these help settle sensitive tummies and a plain pellet type of feed, as opposed to the mixed stuff with biccies in, which it sounds like you already do.

What pelleted brand of food and which vegetables/herbs etc would you recommend for stasis/bloat-prone rabbits?

Dylan is recovering at the Vets from his 2nd bloat attack in a week & apart from having a heavy moult I can't work out why it keeps happening :cry:

I'm questioning everything he has, including his pellets & the veges he gets. I know high fibre is the number one thing to aim for so he always has a variety of hays to hand.

What do other bunny mummy's with stasis/bloat-prone buns feed & what should I definately avoid feeding him? Any help appreciated!

I would certainly recommend either Science Selective or Fibafirst. I think FF is around 30% fibre and is meant to be much better than pellets for teeth. And SS I think is around 22% fibre? Those two are the highest I have found.

Other than the things mentioned above I don't know whether it might be better keeping them on hay, hay, hay and pellet diet?

Hi Sonnet,

Having previously looked after a bun with a chronic gut condition for about 18 months, I would recommend using protexin pro-fibre pellets in addition to a small number of Science selective pellets as well as lots of hay, plantain, Burn's meadow mix herbs, blackberry leaves as well as dill as a fresh herb.

You can get the pro-fibre and dried herbs from The Hay Experts and the bramble from Galen's garden shop.

Kind regards,
Nicki:)

I'm afraid I don't know which pellets might be best - but I would recommend upping the hay intake (most important and should form 80-90% of a rabbit's diet to keep teeth and digestion in good order) and gradually decreasing pellets to an eggcupful a day. HayforPets do a sample pack of their different hay for free - just pay postage.

Two of our buns have had stasis episodes and we now feed them science selective pellets, fresh herbs, a very tiny amount of veg as a treat more than anything and not daily by any means!, frsh herbs daily (corriander and parsley are their favs and I add dill in too), dried plantain and lots of fresh forage (brambles, hawthorne, apple sticks and leaves, dandilions etc etc etc).

A big thank you to everyone for your advice-off to do some ordering of more hays, herbs & leaves for him now :thumb:

Some bunnies can't cope with pellets at all. Some get on better with a muesli mix, or no dried food at all. I think pellets, whilst being high fibre, are too concentrated for some sensitive bunny guts.

Back