• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel like a complete novice, any advice appreciated please

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I feel like Ive lost all my knowledge and don't know what to do.

Angel started lying down more last Tuesday, which is normally a sign he needs a dental, so he had a dental on Friday. Normally this heads off one of these pain (that we thought was caused by teeth) episodes.

Today he was great this morning but went down hard and fast between about 10-10.30am.

Did the meds I've been told to at home but he carried on deteriorating so off we trundled. Nothing abnormal (although temp lower end of normal). Bladder was empty. Given seen him straining, put down to suspected UTI. Had vetergesic on top of the Metacam he had had from me. He's been asleep ever since. I daren't syringe him anything much. He's now not eaten for about 6 hours or so. But he's still very much asleep.

But at what point do I take him back?

I feel like something else is going on and causing this but no idea what. His x-rays showed up perfect tooth roots and nothing suspicious on his kidneys or anything. He looked all good inside (this was done the start of July).

So, what do I do? Wait a bit more for the meds to wear off a bit? (should start in about an hour). I've been doing everything I can to try and stimulate him (both to eat and to wake up and move about a bit) but he's just far too asleep.

I don't know what to do :(

Big hugs to you, I know exactly how you feel :(

He sounds very sleepy, and that is what my Benji is like for a good few days after he's had a dental.

I would give him a few more hours to come around, and see what he's like then. If your gut instict is then telling you to take him back to the emergency vets then do it, I learnt last night to ALWAYS trust your gut instict, especially when someone like you knows your buns so well.

I know this probably isnt much help, but big hugs and eating vibes for you and Angel :love:

I dont know, but maybe ringing your vet for advice would help, re the time he can be asleep on the vetergesic.

Hope Angel and yourself are okay *hugs*

Big hugs to you, I know exactly how you feel :(

He sounds very sleepy, and that is what my Benji is like for a good few days after he's had a dental.

I would give him a few more hours to come around, and see what he's like then. If your gut instict is then telling you to take him back to the emergency vets then do it, I learnt last night to ALWAYS trust your gut instict, especially when someone like you knows your buns so well.

I know this probably isnt much help, but big hugs and eating vibes for you and Angel :love:

Thanks. I always follow my gut instinct and you're right, it's vital. Mine is telling me we're not getting to the root cause of this but that I don't know if this warrants another emergency trip.

I dont know, but maybe ringing your vet for advice would help, re the time he can be asleep on the vetergesic.

Hope Angel and yourself are okay *hugs*

Thanks. She said it would be 6-8 hours, so he's not going to get much time after that before I normally go to bed to give me much indication of how he is. I'll stay up if necessary, but it's not ideal, especially if I'm going to need to get up in the night.

Jack's-Jane said:
SQ fluids maybe ?

I think so. I have developed a fear of them and my last few attempts have been both highly stressful and a complete failure, but I've got the stuff out so I'll give it a go and see how we go. Thanks.

I've taken him outside and put him in a run. He's a bit more awake than he has been all day, but not eaten anything. I sat with him for a while, but now I've come away and am watching through the window. I'm also getting the Sub Q stuff ready.

Thanks guys.

Really hoping that he gets back to normal soon :(

Maybe you could set your alarm for every few hours in the night and check on him? Is he an outside bun or does he live indoors?

I think you know deep down whether it warrants an emergency trip, after bens last dental he wouldnt eat, but I stayed up with him all night to monitor him and I didnt think he needed vetinary attention during the night. Luckily, he started to pick at food in the very early hours of the next morning.

Hope the SQ fluids go well, I know you can do it, positive thinking :thumb:

He heard me :D I said to him, firmly, 'if you don't eat something now, I'm going to have to give you an injection', and he turned around and started eating an apple leaf :thumb:

He won't be having vetergesic again, that's for sure! But now I can hold off on the Sub Q's for a bit to see if he eats more.

Glad he has perked up :D

You may find he'll zonk again for a bit after he has eaten, but it probably wont last for as long as the initial zonkedness that occurred after the dose of Vetergesic xx

Glad he has perked up :D

You may find he'll zonk again for a bit after he has eaten, but it probably wont last for as long as the initial zonkedness that occurred after the dose of Vetergesic xx

You're very right, he has done. He ate some large bramble leaves and is now totally out again. Having you tell me that's normal makes me feel MUCH better. Thanks!

Will ask about Torbugesic when I'm next there and see if they have it and if not, if they can get it.

I hope Angel is still improving. I dislike how sleepy vetergesic can make bunnies too xx

Thanks everyone. Angel is now eatingish but isn't great. This morning he has had Tramadol (been told I can give this) as well as his Metacam. Will have to wait and see. Thanks so much everyone for your replies, especially Jane- you were like my voice of reason :thumb:

Thanks everyone. Angel is now eatingish but isn't great. This morning he has had Tramadol (been told I can give this) as well as his Metacam. Will have to wait and see. Thanks so much everyone for your replies, especially Jane- you were like my voice of reason :thumb:

Oh dear !! :lol:

I hope Angel will improve more throughout the day.

Back