• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I highly dislike the effect vetergesic has on a bunny.

What's vetergesic?

Narcotic pain relief.

Torbugesic seems to be better as far as less drowsiness is concerned.

Thank you. I knew you had mentioned something else recently but wasn't sure what. *Makes note* I have a VERY zonked out bunny who has now been asleep for three hours and has a few left to sleep, probably. Still not eating, but didn't spit out the syringed food, which is something. Clearly, thankfully, not as distressed as he was earlier.

Torbugesic seems to be better as far as less drowsiness is concerned.

I hate the drowsiness too. Probably a stupid question but is there any reason vets prefer to use opiates over NSAID's such as Carprofen? Logic tell me that would be better so I assume I'm missing a nasty side effect somewhere.

I hate the drowsiness too. Probably a stupid question but is there any reason vets prefer to use opiates over NSAID's such as Carprofen? Logic tell me that would be better so I assume I'm missing a nasty side effect somewhere.

I don't know the answer, however, my guy was dosed up to the max on Metacam and he was still deteriorating, so Carprofen wouldn't be able to be administered alongside that. We debated between Tramadol (which I have at home and administer myself but it's oral, so would take longer to take effect) and Vetergesic which would be injected and so would take effect much faster.

I don't know the answer, however, my guy was dosed up to the max on Metacam and he was still deteriorating, so Carprofen wouldn't be able to be administered alongside that. We debated between Tramadol (which I have at home and administer myself but it's oral, so would take longer to take effect) and Vetergesic which would be injected and so would take effect much faster.

In that case then that would be fair enough. I meant more in the way that it's always vetergesic after ops or in cases of stasis. Logic tell me that a dopey rabbit isn't going to want to eat so will take longer to recover. Hope your little one starts improving soon :(

I've only had it used on a guinea pig before, and it was totally disastrous. I can't see that any zonked out animal is going to want to eat, even if they are in less pain.

It's less the side effects and more the painkilling effect. Taking metacam/carpforen is the paracetamol/ibuprofen equivalent, so suitable in varying doses for most 'normal' pain relieving circumstances (much like most times you are in pain you'll use NSAIDs or similar rather than rushing to a&e) whereas opiates are much more the equivalent of morphine, so provide much stronger pain relief for occasions which require it.

I can't offer any other advice Sky-O so I will just offer a hug instead; hope all is ok x x x

Sending hugs too.

When I've seen bunnies on it they look worse than they did when I presented them to the vet!

My vets use this when a bun is in quite a lot of pain. It isn't nice and I think it can't be good for a bun in stasis, for example, as they just want to sleep rather than to eat. I can't say my buns (or buns I know who have had it) have been worse off for having this during a stasis episode, they have always recovered afterwards but it still makes me wonder if they have a really serious episode if it may affect their chance of recovery. :?

I usually request ketamin if its a pain issue.

Ketamin can have a profound effect on the cardiovascular system and personally I would not want to administer the drug at home and away from resuscitation equipment

My vets use this when a bun is in quite a lot of pain. It isn't nice and I think it can't be good for a bun in stasis, for example, as they just want to sleep rather than to eat. I can't say my buns (or buns I know who have had it) have been worse off for having this during a stasis episode, they have always recovered afterwards but it still makes me wonder if they have a really serious episode if it may affect their chance of recovery. :?

I think uncontrolled pain would be a MUCH greater issue.

Last edited:
Ketamin can have a profound effect on the cardiovascular system and personally I would not want to administer the drug at home and away from resuscitation equipment

I think uncontrolled pain would be a MUCH greater issue.

Yes, true. It is scary when they just sleep for hours on end, though! I will say that having had metacam in the past for stasis buns, it never really seems to completely control the pain. My vets are great so I trust they know what is best for a poorly bunny. :thumb:

I hope the bun that has been put on this is ok Sky-O. *hugs* Sounds like he needed it. :(

Only one of my buns has ever had it (that I witnessed, Charlotte had some when she was admitted to the vets overnight but I wasnt there) and it was horrible.

My bun Tilly had a major blockage and was in a bad way. She had vetergesic at the vets and was all floppy when we bought her home :( About an hour later she passed away :cry: Im sure the outcome was inevitable with her, but I dread ever seeing any of my others out of it like that because my mind will fear the worst :cry:

I take comfort in the knowledge that she was atleast not in any pain or fully aware what was happening x

Only one of my buns has ever had it (that I witnessed, Charlotte had some when she was admitted to the vets overnight but I wasnt there) and it was horrible.

My bun Tilly had a major blockage and was in a bad way. She had vetergesic at the vets and was all floppy when we bought her home :( About an hour later she passed away :cry: Im sure the outcome was inevitable with her, but I dread ever seeing any of my others out of it like that because my mind will fear the worst :cry:

I take comfort in the knowledge that she was atleast not in any pain or fully aware what was happening x

I'm so sorry to hear what happened to Tilly. :(
Is there no buprenorphine available there? It's injectable but really seems to work well for my stasis buns.

Back