• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit transport box/bag?

belgian2

Alpha Buck
What do you all use for transporting rabbits to vets?
I am not wildly keen on my plastic carry box as I am always worried door not wildly strong (its standard design but i have strong rabbits!)
and the wooden carry box I have half kills me as it weighs a tonn with buns in..

been looking at those cute holdall design ones that have appeared in pet shop- look like semi rigid oversize handbag with ventilation gills fitted in. has anyone tried those? do the buns instantly chew out? or do they work well? they appeal to me as look hell of a lot lighter to carry then traditional plastic jobbies and less awkward.

Yes they chew out. But not instantly. They wait until you're taking them on the train in it and then chew out, leaving them completely unsecure in the train station and me going crazy with worry. :roll:

I don't recommend the canvas ones at all.

ah thanks for that!!! I did think handy for when need to get bus/walk to vets but prehapse not lol. shall just have to get stronger arms and get used to the wooden box (and the smashed knees when it swings into my legs)

I think plastic ones are your best bet unless you always take multiple rabbits to the vets, the fabric ones just get chewed out of straight away. I know what you mean about the wooden ones being ridiculously heavy, I have one with removable dividers that can hold three small-medium rabbits, a small and a medium-large, or a giant, but it's stupidly heavy and only just fits in the boot of the car, but it's still much easier than carting around three plastic carriers, cleaner too as the mesh is at the top so the rabbits cant kick bedding all over the car, it's also darker so rabbits feel more secure

I have this one and it is great and very strong, holds my two buns fine that together weigh 5.6kg. The floor feels a bit thin but it is very strong. The lid is easy to take off and get back on too, useful in the vets, as my two wont come out the door at the vets.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Options-Deluxe-Plastic-Carrier-Blue/dp/B002KWR1DK

But if I had smaller buns I'd get this one:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=953&pf_id=52107

Its on offer at the moment, its by far the best design I've seen and I'm immensely jealous of everyone that has one :lol:

well you all given me food for thought:D
on reflection- I'll keep at my killer box for the belgian boys as they are scary strong and fast and need extra space as generally together but I shall sort out a trolley for it:D may even be able to strap it to a shopping/luggage trolley base i have.
little lop bun at moment is ok in my small plastic carrier as she is only babe but i think when older may have to upgrade to the dreaded box.
I like look of the airline one but can't really justify price when i have a selection of cat/poultry boxes about!

thing is i do like the box as utterly escape proof, very good ventilation and ultra private for the inmates. quite why pet carrier manufactorers think pets want a view of everything is beyond me- most animals travel far better in dark with limited view, I just wish the box wasn't so appallingly heavy. i stuck it on scales at vet on Saturday and with the two boys in it was 10.3 kg- no wonder arm hurt!but your idea of trolley definatly a winner in my book:D

Back