• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken Toe!

janhm69

Young Bun
I have just come back from a few days away, my buns were being looked after at home but I was really dismayed to find that Pip had broken a toe when I returned. My buns have a large area to run around in and I can only assume that she perhaps slipped or jumped off something and landed awkwardly on the foot (they have a box they love to sleep in so maybe it was this?). I whizzed her to the vet who has given me some Metcam for her and her toe is done up with durapore tape. She has licked and pulled the first lot of tape off but I have replaced it, trying to keep the toes together for support. It is the outside toe on her back foot and the toe is sticking out and swollen, hence the tape. I am worried that if it doesn't heal properly she will have to have the toe amputated:cry:

Has anyone any advice or has anyone had this happen to a bun? She is doing everything normally otherwise but is looking very sorry for herself and uncomfortable. I feel pretty miserable about it too.

Poor Pip.:(

Sorry I haven't got any experience in broken toes and or amputation.

Hopefully someone with experience will be along very soon.

I hope Pip's toe mends quickly without the need for an op.:thumb::thumb:

Thank you for the reply..

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to reply. I still have a rather miserable bunny but the tape seems to be holding since I replaced it. I guess it is just a matter of time to see if it will mend well. Just wish I knew how she'd done it.... Thanks again Jan.

My roger broke a couple of toes years ago he was taken to the vets but there was nothing they could do and it didn't bother him one bit so they left it as it was

Thanks!

I am more than a bit relieved to hear that toes might heal and an operation avoided then. Thanks so much for that. Pip has managed to leave the tape alone so I am hoping toe will heal without sticking out too much. The joint is quite swollen at the moment. I am keen for my bunnies to have plenty of space etc but they do bomb around sometimes and leap in the air and I think this time Pip had a crash landing.

Is that Roger in the photos? He looks a gorgeous bun!

I am more than a bit relieved to hear that toes might heal and an operation avoided then. Thanks so much for that. Pip has managed to leave the tape alone so I am hoping toe will heal without sticking out too much. The joint is quite swollen at the moment. I am keen for my bunnies to have plenty of space etc but they do bomb around sometimes and leap in the air and I think this time Pip had a crash landing.

Is that Roger in the photos? He looks a gorgeous bun!

Yes thats roger in the first picture he is no longer with me i lost him a couple of months ago to old age he was 10+

My roger broke a couple of toes years ago he was taken to the vets but there was nothing they could do and it didn't bother him one bit so they left it as it was

Fudge has one broken toe too, but it's on the inside on her right hind leg, not the outside. She did it during her post-spay checkup at the vets, when she decided my shoulder looked like a good escape route, obviously not anticipating the subsequent 6 foot drop to the floor! I didn't know enough back then to know she might try to escape!

She seemed to be in pain immediately after she did it, but very similar to Sazzy's case in that the vet said they couldn't do anything. She just had one shot of metacam, and then never showed any sign of discomfort again.
It has healed with the toe sticking straight up, and that nail grows much thicker than the rest.

She never had any swelling though, so I guess that will be causing Pip pain in the short term.

Yes thats roger in the first picture he is no longer with me i lost him a couple of months ago to old age he was 10+

So sorry to hear about Roger :cry:, always heartbreaking when they have to go. Roger was obviously a very happy and content bun to live to such a great age. Hope I will have Pip and her sister as long. Thanks again for your kind reply, I am more hopeful that the toe will mend. Jan.

Many thanks

Fudge has one broken toe too, but it's on the inside on her right hind leg, not the outside. She did it during her post-spay checkup at the vets, when she decided my shoulder looked like a good escape route, obviously not anticipating the subsequent 6 foot drop to the floor! I didn't know enough back then to know she might try to escape!

She seemed to be in pain immediately after she did it, but very similar to Sazzy's case in that the vet said they couldn't do anything. She just had one shot of metacam, and then never showed any sign of discomfort again.
It has healed with the toe sticking straight up, and that nail grows much thicker than the rest.

She never had any swelling though, so I guess that will be causing Pip pain in the short term.

Many thanks for your reply, Pip has the Metacam drops which she is taking and I think this is helping. She seems a bit brighter today and not sitting around as much. The tape has survived nibbling too so at least the foot is being held together a bit. Just hoping toe won't stick out too much that the vet will want to remove it!

Back