• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Button - healing vibes please back to the vets this morning

NellieNooNoo

Warren Scout
Button went back to the vets this morning, as his nose was blocked and he was opening and closing his mouth like a goldfish.

On Metacam, given more Baytril which he's been on a couple of days and Panacur. Being treated as if he has E. cuniculi, which I am reading up on and it might have been what his partner died from two years ago.

He has lost weight again, since last visit on Wednesday. Despite everything he's a lively chappy :love: and definitely not ready to give up yet.

Have to keep a close eye on him as might go back into stasis, but am ready for this.

Button on so many medications now, nightmare getting them into him with his snuffles. Poor thing lots of white mucus and blood came out of his nose, but after a clean up this morning seems a little brighter. Eating very small amounts so am syringe feeding occasionally.

Not sure what the outcome will be, as he's still loosing weight, add to that his age and the snuffles seems the odds are stacked against him. Despite all that he is still lively and hopping around.

What was the diagnosis?

Really hoping that he comes through this, I know how awful snuffles can be, poor boy :(

How old is Button? x

Vets believe the blood came from his lungs, but the Vets and I have agreed not to do anymore tests on him as he's old and getting frail. He has Pasteurella and is being treated for E. Cuniculi but this isn't confirmed without blood test but being treated as a precaution.

Just trying to keep him as comfortable and pain-free as possible and hope he pulls through. Back to Vets on Wednesday, or earlier if I become concerned.

Back