• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

gi stasis

caldykat

New Kit
Please help. I am distraught. My 10 month old mini lop house bunny died on thursday. He had symptoms of GI stasis last monday and on tuesday i took him to the vet. He had 3 days of treatment and seemed to turn the corner. However on Wedneday this week he had the same symptoms, not eating or pooing. I thought i would monitor him that night and gave him some metacam and planned to take him to the vet the following morning. Sadly he had horrendous diarrhoea and went into shock and died an hour after i got him to the vet. I cant help but torture myself thinking I could have done more or that i did him harm giving him the metacam

I am sorry for your loss

Gut stasis can often be a secondary symptom to another underlying problem. I really dont think one dose of Metacam would be what caused his tragic passing.

RIP little Bunny :cry:

if you gave the recommended dose of metacam then it shouldnt have caused diarrhea. Im not sure why he did come down with it, and unless you have a PM done its unlikely you will know Im afraid.

Im sorry for your loss xx

I am so sorry for your loss. I am a new bunny owner so I do not feel that I know enough to answer your concerns. It is obvious that you did everything that you could and that you loved your bunny deepy.

Please help. I am distraught. My 10 month old mini lop house bunny died on thursday. He had symptoms of GI stasis last monday and on tuesday i took him to the vet. He had 3 days of treatment and seemed to turn the corner. However on Wedneday this week he had the same symptoms, not eating or pooing. I thought i would monitor him that night and gave him some metacam and planned to take him to the vet the following morning. Sadly he had horrendous diarrhoea and went into shock and died an hour after i got him to the vet. I cant help but torture myself thinking I could have done more or that i did him harm giving him the metacam

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. These charming little animals really do touch our hearts.

Good sound advice has been given. I'm sure you did everything you could.

Rest easy little bunny. xxxxxx

Sad to see that your first thread is an unhappy one.

Please accept my warm welcome to you on RU.:wave:

Hopefully future threads will be happier.

Take care. x

So sorry to hear about your loss. As others have said you did all you could and sometimes there are underlying issues x

Back