• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday boarding dilemma

Tilia

Warren Scout
We're hoping to have a holiday to see family abroad in 2013/2014, probably for 3-4 weeks

My Elsa is not great at dealing with new situations and wasn't drinking enough for the first 3 days I had her (although she was a young bun that came from the rescue having being dumped and goodness knows what else, plus she wasn't fully bonded with Elmo, they'd only had playdates). Elmo is pretty chilled out :love:

Just weighing up my options and would appreciate your ideas/thoughts/similar experiences:
  • Put them in boarding and hope it goes okay - but what happens if it doesn't...
  • Put them in boarding a week before we go away - but this increases their time away from home and if we decided to cancel we'd lose a lot of money on the flights (& upset family members!)
  • Put them in boarding for a week or so this year and see how it goes before we book the holiday - but this puts them through it twice, and they seem to take several days to get used to new routines
  • Pay for a (trusted) bunny sitter to come round twice a day so they get to stay in their familiar environment (particularly as Elmo is partially sighted) - but this means they are alone for most of the day if they get ill or something. Could also get family members to check in on them in addition to the bunny sitter, but none of them are pet owners

I know several of you don't go on holidays - I highly doubt we would go on any more big holidays after this, but would really love to do this one...

I have used a boarding place for the past 2 years. The first time Snowdrop was quite poorly at the time and although Lynne who runs it looked after her brilliantly she was hard work. The second year she was in full health andhp hadnt been in stasis for a year. As soon as she got to boarding she stopped eating and Lynne again had two weeks of medicating her and worrying as she woulnt eat. The minute we got her home she was fine again and has been all year.

This summer we have decided to leave her at home and sphave someone come round to feed her. Hopefully in her own environment she won't notice any difference whilst I'm away and will be fine.

Why not book them into a boarder close to you for 2-3 days to try them........they can asses the bunnies and see how they cope......I do boarding and all the bunnies are different. Some come get here and very stressed by the car and just settle straight away, others takes a few days, only ever had one in 7yrs that stopped eating and we had to syringe feed him for a week.

This is the reason why I've not gone on a proper holiday since I got my pair in 2005, I dont trust family/friends to have them and until recently I didn't know of any decent holiday boarding places (now I know about Caroline @ rabbit residence)

You can get pet sitters that stay in your house the whole time you're away, dont know if you'd be ok with something like that but the people are crb checked and everything.
We looked into this once and it was going to cost approx £200 for a week, not bad I dont think.
Although now I know rabbit residence (a rescue) do boarding I would rather give my money to them.

Back