• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

West yorkshire breeder.

Baildon bears

Warren Scout
After having a rough start with my rabbits i got from a local breeder in west yorkshire who breeds Mini and Micro lops, the vet has told me they are having repeated problems with rabbits from the same breeder :( I don't want to name names on the forum but just wondered if anyone else has had any problems with rabbits from this breeder?

Not sure you will find many people who go to breeders on here (well who own up to it anyway) it sounds as though she is a backstreet breeder in it for nothing more than the money. Out of curiosity what is a micro lop?

Not sure you will find many people who go to breeders on here (well who own up to it anyway) it sounds as though she is a backstreet breeder in it for nothing more than the money. Out of curiosity what is a micro lop?

I wonder if it is the same as a 'tea cup' (a runt)?

I think it's just smaller than a mini lop, did not see any when we went to get are mini lops, this may be a silly question but if you don't get your rabbits from breeder or p@h were do you get them from or do you get them from a rescue centre, was I was wrong in thinking that getting a rabbit from a breeder was the best thing? why whould you not get from a breeder, sorry if my question seen silly to everyone just really new to all this :oops:

This is a pro-rescue forum, meaning pretty much everyone gets their rabbits from rescues/from people dumping their animals on gumtree etc.
There are already about 40,000 rabbits in rescues around the UK all desperate for homes. If breeders keep breeding then rabbits will never get adopted.
Many animals being bred are kept in horrible conditions and then are killed or given away when they are of 'no use' anymore :cry:
Breeders shouldn't keep breeding when there are already so many animals that need homes.

And a mini-lop is called that because of the size of it's ears....the 'mini' doesn't describe the size of the rabbit.
Or at least I think that's right, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it's just smaller than a mini lop, did not see any when we went to get are mini lops, this may be a silly question but if you don't get your rabbits from breeder or p@h were do you get them from or do you get them from a rescue centre, was I was wrong in thinking that getting a rabbit from a breeder was the best thing? why whould you not get from a breeder, sorry if my question seen silly to everyone just really new to all this :oops:

Yeah, it is recommended to get rabbits from a rescue centre, although I got two of mine from a breeder and the other was rescued from a petshop, anymore will be coming from a rescue. There are thousands upon thousands of rabbits handed into rescues each year and instead of supporting the breeding trade, rabbit owners are reccomended to get buns from their local rescue. Most of the rabbits are often bonded into pairs/trios as well which is good seen as rabbits aren't naturally solitary animals, and they are often spayed/neutered and vaccinated.:wave:

This is a pro-rescue forum, meaning pretty much everyone gets their rabbits from rescues/from people dumping their animals on gumtree etc.
There are already about 40,000 rabbits in rescues around the UK all desperate for homes. If breeders keep breeding then rabbits will never get adopted.
Many animals being bred are kept in horrible conditions and then are killed or given away when they are of 'no use' anymore :cry:
Breeders shouldn't keep breeding when there are already so many animals that need homes.

And a mini-lop is called that because of the size of it's ears....the 'mini' doesn't describe the size of the rabbit.
Or at least I think that's right, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mini Lops are the smallest breed of rabbit. You're right that their ears are tiny but they tend to weight up to 1.5kg and other lop breeds are larger. They're a similar size to netherland dwarf rabbits :wave:

sorry for my ignorance, we got our cat from a rescue centre, so don't really know why I did not think to do the same when we got the rabbits:oops:. This whole process has been a massive learning curve, in the future I will get my rabbits from a rescue place.

sorry for my ignorance, we got our cat from a rescue centre, so don't really know why I did not think to do the same when we got the rabbits:oops:. This whole process has been a massive learning curve, in the future I will get my rabbits from a rescue place.

I didnt either when I got my first bunny, its funny isnt it :lol:

Mini lops ears are in proportion to their size, I don't think they are small :? The rabbits are bigger than nethies

It's a real shame they're breeding with no regard for the health of the rabbits :( my buns were from an accidental litter, although we normally use rescues for our animals.

Oviously my mini lops are mini at the moment as they are babies :D, but she did show me an adult and she was a fair sized rabbit so no I don't think they are that small lol.

I don't know the breeder but dwarf breeds (mini lops and netherland dwarfs) have enough problems as it is with their tiny size and squashed features, they're clearly idiots to try make the rabbits even smaller and these problems worse :roll: Please try contact your local council (maybe RSPCA too?) and get them to find out the number of problems the vet has experienced with these rabbits and review the breeder, hopefully they can do something about them, and stop owners and rabbits suffering :(

I will do, I have been running a local playgroup last year that has closed down and I have decided to donate the money left over from the playgroup about £200 to a rabbit rescue centre, I would like a local one in west yorkshire any suggestions?

The reason a lot of people dont go to breeders is to avoid problems like you are having, with people just out to make money or people that dont care. Dont get me wrong there are some good breeders about, but they are hard to find. I think one of the reasons they are hard to find is that if you have the rabbit's best interests in mind then they are usually kept in pairs or groups (there are very few rabbits that you cant keep in pairs, and these ones you couldnt breed from anyway without being cruel), which you cannot do in a breeding setup, so a breeder that truly puts their rabbits' welfare first will not breed a lot, or retire their rabbits very quickly, and so naturally they wouldnt have any or many available.

There is no such thing as a micro lop, so no wonder you are having problems with this breeder. Mini lops are small rabbits, so if the parents you saw werent small then I'm afraid your mini lops dont have pure lines, they arent pure bred. I'm sure that doesnt matter to you anyway though, and it doesnt make them any less lovely rabbits.

I will do, I have been running a local playgroup last year that has closed down and I have decided to donate the money left over from the playgroup about £200 to a rabbit rescue centre, I would like a local one in west yorkshire any suggestions?

Aww that's brilliant :D There's Camp Nibble in Leeds, and I think one called Sue's rabbit rescue in Dewsbury but they're not very big rescues, maybe split it between a local one and a large one a bit further away? I believe Barnsley Animal Rescue and Care are quite big

I am sorry that you are having problems with your rabbits. I see that you are trying to arrange insurance and I hope that you can get that in place soon.

What problems are you currently having?

I am sorry that you are having problems with your rabbits. I see that you are trying to arrange insurance and I hope that you can get that in place soon.

What problems are you currently having?

Tummy problems, Sootie stopped eating and drinking on Monday and just sat there all day, as i've never had rabbits before I new something was not right but had no idea what, so took him to vets to find out it was Stasis, he has spend a week at vets which has cost me over £100, vets say this breeder is producing rabbits with simular problems and they think its because they are being taken away from mum to early:cry:., they were between 6-7 weeks old when we took them, I don't know if thats an ok age?

Tummy problems, Sootie stopped eating and drinking on Monday and just sat there all day, as i've never had rabbits before I new something was not right but had no idea what, so took him to vets to find out it was Stasis, he has spend a week at vets which has cost me over £100, vets say this breeder is producing rabbits with simular problems and they think its because they are being taken away from mum to early:cry:., they were between 6-7 weeks old when we took them, I don't know if thats an ok age?

It's 8 weeks I think :( how awful :( what a terrible breeder, creating life that will have problems then carrying on even though it is known to them :( Poppy was in an accidental litter and she has cost the most out of all rabbits this year, £150 in the last month, but that's how it is, they can be expensive animals. Such a shame your bunnies a having an awkward start to life because of their 'creator' :( good job looking after them though! xx

Back