• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cottage renovation ...before and after pics now uploaded!!

Oh are you not living in it then?! :shock:

Nope, not enough outside storage (garage) space for us sadly and no room to add it :D Hubby is a builder & a keen cyclist and so we need the equivilant to a triple garage. A barn would be better :lol:

Gorgeous cottage, lots of things I love about it, just not right for us :(

It's gorgeous and you can see how much hard work has been put in. How long did it take?

Thank you :wave: In total, 5 years but it was being lived in by my brother & sister in law for 12 months while they renovated & extended their own house (next door!) so really 4 years. If it wasn't listed it would have taken around 12 months....:roll: and we've not made ANY structural alterations to the cottage what so ever :shock: We have an average of two people a day stop and comment on the finished result. All saying how beautiful it looks now, many ask to take photo's. You would think the conservation officer and the council would be grateful to someone doing what we've done...but nope, they make everything as difficult as possible and make it take as long as possible - even now we're still waiting for the replacement like for like windows to be signed off - you wouldn't believe the detail they are demanding. As lovely as it is, we'll never buy another listed property :(

Last edited:
Well done, it looks fabulous.

I have seen what it is like on TV with listed buildings and it looks such a nightmare with all the rules and regulations.

Thank you :wave: In total, 5 years but it was being lived in by my brother & sister in law for 12 months while they renovated & extended their own house (next door!) so really 4 years. If it wasn't listed it would have taken around 12 months....:roll: and we've not made ANY structural alterations to the cottage what so ever :shock: We have an average of two people a day stop and comment on the finished result. All saying how beautiful it looks now, many ask to take photo's. You would think the conservation officer and the council would be grateful to someone doing what we've done...but nope, they make everything as difficult as possible and make it take as long as possible - even now we're still waiting for the replacement like for like windows to be signed off - you wouldn't believe the detail they are demanding. As lovely as it is, we'll never buy another listed property :(

We are trying to move at present - and unless it is already restored will not look at listed properties - really not worth the hassle and extra expense - and we both work within 'heritage' organisations!

Like you we need space and land - and the looking is not proving easy!!!.

Well done, it looks fabulous.

I have seen what it is like on TV with listed buildings and it looks such a nightmare with all the rules and regulations.

Thank you :wave:

It is such a pity because these houses need people to love them and keep them in good repair. If the authorities make things too long winded, stressful & costly they will sit empty and eventually fall into an irretrievable state :( The cottage was in a bad way when we bought it, it didn't look too bad but there were lots of very serious issues - we knew about most of them & went in with our eyes pretty much wide open but it has still taken every ounce of physical and mental strength to persevere with it until the end. There have been many many occasions where I would have happily sold it at a loss. As it is, due to us buying it at the peak and selling at the low, we MAY just about break even *fingers crossed* :shock:

It looks absolutely wonderful and it looks like you renovated the house to live in ie. a very high standard and great attention to the detail. You've clearly thought of everything but I did wonder where the rabbit hutch was. I mean, you are surely only going to sell it to a caring, bunny-owning person and then I realised...the annex! Yes, that will be lovely, the buns will be pleased :D

Back