• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutered male change of behaviour for the worse???

rexvelvet

New Kit
Please can anyone help answer me this??.... my male has been neutered, probably a couple months now. His behaviour has altered and not for the better like all the books say!
He growls at me and seems quite grumpy. Today I found him collecting hay in his mouth as if he was nesting??

Why would he change and be so aggressive, i have looked up this and research says territorial or scared. I feel this is not the case.
We have/had a good bond and he was a really sweet rabbit, friendly and happy to be picked up/smoothed etc and now he is not too friendly. I am doing what has been suggested, i.e not startling him, changing his food bowls location etc in case its territorial but this has not helped.

please please can someone help advise other methods for this change
thank you

from new member :wave:

Firstly I'd get the Vet to take a look at him. The behaviour he is exhibiting could be indicative of a health problem. Also there are physical conditions that can cause hormonal disturbances in neutered Bucks. In very rare cases a Rabbit may actually have both male and female sex organs- ie a hermaphrodite.

Back