• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to insurance....help needed pretty please

Thump3r

Young Bun
Hi everyone

My bunny Thumper is now a year and half and seeing as she is not the smallest thing I thought it's about time to get her insuraned, also I've been a bit slow :lol:

This is all very new to me, does anyone recommend companies to use or stay away from?

On the Internet petplan keeps coming up

Thanks x

I use P@H but most people here won't recommend them because of their policies on selling rabbits, however I found their T&Cs easier to understand, their excess cheaper and the insurance itself was cheaper too.

The insurance itself is actually very good, cheap, easy to understand and if you are shorter on money if you use their Companion Care vets the excess on any operations is even cheaper.
Stephen is almost two and his insurance is £7 a month.

I use exotic pets direct. They were very quick to get money to me after a claim and their claims people were knowledgable about bunnies and sympathic to my loss :(

I use petplan, as its a longer standing company than the P@H one, which is just recent, and with pet insurance if the company decides to dissolve you're screwed, as any conditions the bun has had will be pre-existing conditions with a new company.

Cant comment on how good they are yet though, as they are taking ages with my claim :roll: but to be fair its not their fault, its because my vets didnt give them the info they needed and havent been ringing petplan even though I asked them to. Apparently most claims are dealt with in a week.

I thought the excess was more on the P@H one than the petplan, my petplan excess is £50. It is £17 a month for 2 buns (multipet discount) but this will likely go up next February when my policy renews, as I've just moved to a more expensive area, and its done on area.

I use P@H for all 4 of my buns and I have claimed twice and they paid out quickly with no fuss. The excess is £75 and it costs me £6 something per bun each month.

I use pet plan. Have claimed twice now for Snowdrop and both times were fine. Money was sent quickly and it was very simple to do.

I use Petplan for all mine they pay my vet direct so I don't have to do anything only sign the claim form and pay the excess my last vet bill was 800 pound and I just had to pay the 50 pound :wave:

I use petplan, as its a longer standing company than the P@H one, which is just recent, and with pet insurance if the company decides to dissolve you're screwed, as any conditions the bun has had will be pre-existing conditions with a new company.

Cant comment on how good they are yet though, as they are taking ages with my claim :roll: but to be fair its not their fault, its because my vets didnt give them the info they needed and havent been ringing petplan even though I asked them to. Apparently most claims are dealt with in a week.I thought the excess was more on the P@H one than the petplan, my petplan excess is £50. It is £17 a month for 2 buns (multipet discount) but this will likely go up next February when my policy renews, as I've just moved to a more expensive area, and its done on area.

I've had about a dozen claims with Pet Plan and none have been resolved anything like a week. I think the best has been a fortnight but more are 3 - 4 weeks. Most are straightforward continuations for stasis - should be really easy to process. I get annoyed when I see the 'processed in a week' claim. So far I've had one claim with P@H and they were good. I've nothing to chose between them (have 5 policies with each) but agree that Pet Plan feel safer as a longstanding provider.

I use PAH, pay £7.16 a month each for both of my boys who are now 2 and 3. I had a claim which was dealt with extremely quickly. Hope this helps.:wave:

I have petplan, but it is expensive, especially when your rabbits get old and my excess has gone up to £80 + 20% which for most health problems isn't worth claiming for. My boy went in for an xray and urine tests, it was expensive, the vet messed up on my payment as she included non covered things in my bill and I got £14 back.

Mine is £17 something for my 9 year old. The cat is £18.

I's recommend going for the P@H one, I think there's one more that vets have advertise, but don't know how much it is, just avoid the banks and supermarkets one as they're not life insurance and can be dropped like the lloyds one was.

I use pets@home - because it was the only insurer that would insure my 5yr old buns, also cheapest cost, though excess seems to be slightly higher if you don't use their vets.

I recently insured with P@H as PetPlan was over double the cost for me. I've just had to put in a claim so fingers crossed its quick.

I used to have my cat insured with PetPlan but when they increased the excess and added the % of claim I switched her insurance elsewhere.

Back