• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anyone know anything about hamsters?????

samijofood

Young Bun
i know its not a rabbit but my hamster looks like she has developed wet tail. iv moved my rabbit well away from the hamster and made sure iv washed my hands in between looking after my hamster and my rabbit.

does anyone know how to treat wet tail???

Have you taken hammy to a vet?

It's a really serious illness that can kill quickly, I believe it's treated with antibiotics.

not yet im going first thing in the morning with her. i havnt seen much of her and i decided to wake her up so i could clean the cage and noticed she had a wet and pooey rear end and has gone really thin. iv taken away the food and scrubed the cage and cleaned her bum with luke warm cotton wool balls. i have also gave her a load of fluid using a small syringe. she took it really well suprisingly so i assume she needed it. so im going to keep doing that through the night with the water and go to the vet first thing.

i dont like taking the food away but the out of hours vet told me to to that. they said she will need to fast for 24hrs to calm her tummy down before treatment.

Vets straight away, they'll inject antibiotics, give you antibiotics to drop in the mouth and give you special pro biotics to put in the water.... we got a baby hamster from a garden centre (imo he was soooo too young to be sold) and the day after we brought him home he had wet tail, rushed him to the vet, and fortunately, managed to save him, the vet said we were lucky tho, as unfortunately, they don't tend to survive :( get to the vets asap.

Hope she's ok :) xxxx

Hope it went okay at the vets :wave:

Wet tail is very serious. Make sure you get probiotics.

been to the vets she has had a injection of antibiotics and fluids because she was dehydrated. got to keep pushing fluids into her every few hours with a syringe. shes got to go back tomorrow for a check and another injection. she has lost a lot of weight too. she only wieghs 75g and syrian's need to be approx 110g.

needing hammy vibes right now for sandy :cry:

fingers crossed she will pull through.

I hope she is okay, did the vet give you probiotics? Is hammy eating?

Has she only had it one day, thats such a lot of weight to lose :(

shes not eating a lot at all just sleeping. iv got pro biotics that i have to keep giving her in a syringe and water.

now my poor jed (rabbit) is missing her. when sandy is in her ball jed chases her around and pushes her ball when she stops. jed keeps looking at the ball and pushing it. lol

ive had a hamster survive wet tail, dont know why the vet told you to take the food away because they need to eat!:?. try baby food the grandpa's dinner is ok for them, you need to keep her hydrated, try and syringe the antibiotics so she gets the full dose too.there is loads of info on hamster central, there were invaluable for me. hope she pulls through.

my lil fighter has taken some fluids with a syringe a whole 3ml and a little food now. :thumb:
ill keep trying the fluids every few hours, its gonna be a long night.

iv cleaned her bum areas again with luke warm water and cotton balls.

keeping finger and toes crossed for my lil hammy.

lil jed keep looking at her exercise ball and pushing it around (bless him) strange that cos hammy's n bunnies dont get along. but strange thing is they do. :love:

you need to change her bedding everyday.:wave:

i do that and scrub the cage everyday.

she has been for a follow up with the vet today, she had showed some signs of improvement so we are carrying on with treatment.
she has gained 1gram in weight and is more steady on her feet, lil moore active too.
still not eating much but taking on fluids easily with the syringe.

:love::love:

well after a lot of TLC and 2 trips to the vet, sandy took a turn for the worse and started fitting and i had to put an end to her suffering. :cry:

RIP sandy, mummy loves you xxxxx :love::cry:

Back