• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excess cecotropes (sp) ???

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
What causes them? (read about this so many times but can't seem to remember now :oops:)

Somebun has been producing them for 2 days now and I have no clue why, I haven't changed anything in their diet. Pretty sure it's Bella but it's difficult to say, Boris' caecals tend to be tiny though so I don't think he made them. They just get hay, small amount of SS twice a day, and then some plantain, willow and dandelion on top of that. Sometimes raspberry leaves and clover but not every day.

Last edited:
when the weather got hot the other week one of my bunnies started producing htem not sure which one, but since temps gone down abit all back to normal agan, so it could be anything from diet, weather, health etc

Buttons has always produced a lot of them (or maybe she just doesn't like to eat them?) - I rarely notice them from Nibbles...

Stress, too rich a diet, something's upset the digestion, sensitive to something - those are the few I know, but there are more, sometimes it seems for no reason, although there must be one.

I find a hay only diet for a few days then slowly reintroducing the pellets and greens back in usually sorts it out.

My two suffer with this and i do notice a difference when the weather is hot. Also I notice a difference with the hay. Stay well away from alfalfa and ready grass and tend to keep to meadow hay mainly and a little of timothy hay. Also parsley seems to be the only thing that agrees with them and dried plantain along SS pellets and a scoop full of protexin pro fibre at night.

My two suffer with this and i do notice a difference when the weather is hot. Also I notice a difference with the hay. Stay well away from alfalfa and ready grass and tend to keep to meadow hay mainly and a little of timothy hay. Also parsley seems to be the only thing that agrees with them and dried plantain along SS pellets and a scoop full of protexin pro fibre at night.

Have you tried putting them on a hay only diet, or a hay and just a couple of pellets diet?

Back