• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My Dilemma

Angelo

New Kit
Jasper, my 8 and a half year old lop rabbit suddenly lost the use of his hind legs on Monday night. In recent years, he has been suffering from the signs of old age, with cataracts in his eyes, loss of bodymass and inability to put on weight, as well as incontinence and limited mobility (which the vet had previously put down to old age). The following morning, Rachel, the girl who cares for him found him immobile in the hutch he shares with his companion, and immediately took him indoors and sent me a message saying he was unwell and that she really feared for him. Originally, it was thought that he had suffered a stroke and the paralysis was a result of this. I went to see him on Tuesday evening, and he looked very unwell. He was unable to stand or move very much, and he was refusing food and water. We had arranged to go to the vet the following morning (earliest available appointment). I held him and wept the whole time, fearing that this was to be the end, and the vet would say that there is nothing more that could be done and that he should be euthanised.

That night I prayed like never before and stayed up all night seeking out advice on the internet. I discovered that E-Cuniculi can cause hind leg paralysis, but that treatment in the form of Panacur and Baytril does have remarkable results, even with rabbits who are refusing food and appear to be at death's door. The following morning, he was taking a little food (curly kale) and drinking some water. Almost miraculously, he seemed to be able to get up and hop around his cage, albeit in a very unsteady manner, and it was clearly uncomfortable for him. It gave me some hope that he might eventually be ok.

When we took him to the vets, I explained to the vet that I thought he may be suffering from E-Cuniculi. The vet agreed that it was also his immediate impression and although not formally diagnosed with pathology, proposed putting him on a combination of Baytril and Panacur, for 28 days. Jasper was then hospitalised, and I recommended that he be put on a drip to rehydrate him and stabilise him.

Later that day, I got a call from the vet (one of the colleagues of the vet who we took him to) saying that he did not think E-Cuniculi was the cause of his debilitation, and that he had been suffering from arthritis for a while and it had got to such a critical stage that his quality of life was now severely reduced. Although he didn't insist upon it, he made several arguments to suggest that he thought the best option was to euthanise Jasper. I got the distinct impression from this vet that this was the channel he was trying to guide me down. I insisted that we should at least try the Baytril/Panacur combination alongside pain killing medication before even considering euthanising him. The vet kept going on about his quality of life and how euthansia might be the kindest option. Nevertheless, I didn't want to give up without at least giving it a try. In the end, I insisted we try the course of medication and pain killers first, and requested that he start the process and administer pain killers to Jasper. The pain killer the vet used was morphine.

That evening, I got a courtesy call from the vet nurse saying that he had been put on a drip and given pain killers, and was hopping around the hutch, but looking very lethargic. I took the lethargy to be an affect of the morphine. I took this as a sign that things were improving.

This morning, I got another call from the vet saying that his condition had deteriorated over night and that he was just laying there motionless, and that he had urinated on himself. He further tried to persuade me that his quality of life was so impaired, and his chances of recovery so slim, that the best option was to euthanise him. I told him that I find his description of his current condition difficult to reconcile with the rabbit (who albeit in discomfort) was able to stand on his four legs and hop around, which I brought into the vet the previous morning. His explanation was merely to suggest that he had suddenly gone downhill, and that his arthritis is so bad that he would likely never recover his movement. The vet said that he had been given more morphine and wasn't in any discomfort at the time, but he was refusing food. He also said that this is likely the first time in over a year that he hasn't felt any pain.

I have been agonising over this decision all day, and it has been eating me up inside. I don't want to keep him alive for my own selfish reason and make him suffer unnecessarily. Equally, I don't want to give up on him prematurely. I don't have much money, but I would sell a kidney to keep him alive if he had a fighting chance of coming out the other end and having a life which resembled the one he had only a month ago, even if it is only for a few more months. To compound matters, I had Rachel take him to the same vet twice in the previous eighteen months, because I wanted to have blood tests done to be able to manage his deterioration into old age, and get early warning of any conditions which might be occuring. On each occassion that he was examined by the vet, Arthritis was never mentioned, let alone any products/medications to manage the pain and degeneration of an arthritic rabbit, despite his increasing lack of mobility. It was just put down to "old age". This from a vet that sells Arthri-aid in their practice! This only serves to undermine the confidence I have in their judgement.

I am at a loss on what to do, or which signs to look out for in order to make a definitive decision. I would welcome any advice from my fellow rabbit lovers.

With thanks
Angelo

Last edited:
Jasper, my 8 and a half year old lop rabbit suddenly lost the use of his hind legs on Monday night. In recent years, he has been suffering from the signs of old age, with cataracts in his eyes, loss of bodymass and inability to put on weight, as well as incontinence and limited mobility (which the vet had previously put down to old age). The following morning, Rachel, the girl who cares for him found him immobile in the hutch he shares with his companion, and immediately took him indoors and sent me a message saying he was unwell and that she really feared for him. Originally, it was thought that he had suffered a stroke and the paralysis was a result of this. I went to see him on Tuesday evening, and he looked very unwell. He was unable to stand or move very much, and he was refusing food and water. We had arranged to go to the vet the following morning (earliest available appointment). I held him and wept the whole time, fearing that this was to be the end, and the vet would say that there is nothing more that could be done and that he should be euthanised.

That night I prayed like never before and stayed up all night seeking out advice on the internet. I discovered that E-Cuniculi can cause hind leg paralysis, but that treatment in the form of Panacur and Baytril does have remarkable results, even with rabbits who are refusing food and appear to be at death's door. The following morning, he was taking a little food (curly kale) and drinking some water. Almost miraculously, he seemed to be able to get up and hop around his cage, albeit in a very unsteady manner, and it was clearly uncomfortable for him. It gave me some hope that he might eventually be ok.

When we took him to the vets, I explained to the vet that I thought he may be suffering from E-Cuniculi. The vet agreed that it was also his immediate impression and although not formally diagnosed with pathology, proposed putting him on a combination of Baytril and Panacur, for 28 days. Jasper was then hospitalised, and I recommended that he be put on a drip to rehydrate him and stabilise him.

Later that day, I got a call from the vet (one of the colleagues of the vet who we took him to) saying that he did not think E-Cuniculi was the cause of his debilitation, and that he had been suffering from arthritis for a while and it had got to such a critical stage that his quality of life was now severely reduced. Although he didn't insist upon it, he made several arguments to suggest that he thought the best option was to euthanise Jasper. I got the distinct impression from this vet that this was the channel he was trying to guide me down. I insisted that we should at least try the Baytril/Panacur combination alongside pain killing medication before even considering euthanising him. The vet kept going on about his quality of life and how euthansia might be the kindest option. Nevertheless, I didn't want to give up without at least giving it a try. In the end, I insisted we try the course of medication and pain killers first, and requested that he start the process and administer pain killers to Jasper. The pain killer the vet used was morphine.

That evening, I got a courtesy call from the vet nurse saying that he had been put on a drip and given pain killers, and was hopping around the hutch, but looking very lethargic. I took the lethargy to be an affect of the morphine. I took this as a sign that things were improving.

This morning, I got another call from the vet saying that his condition had deteriorated over night and that he was just laying there motionless, and that he had urinated on himself. He further tried to persuade me that his quality of life was so impaired, and his chances of recovery so slim, that the best option was to euthanise him. I told him that I find his description of his current condition difficult to reconcile with the rabbit (who albeit in discomfort) was able to stand on his four legs and hop around, which I brought into the vet the previous morning. His explanation was merely to suggest that he had suddenly gone downhill, and that his arthritis is so bad that he would likely never recover his movement. The vet said that he had been given more morphine and wasn't in any discomfort at the time, but he was refusing food. He also said that this is likely the first time in over a year that he hasn't felt any pain.

I have been agonising over this decision all day, and it has been eating me up inside. I don't want to keep him alive for my own selfish reason and make him suffer unnecessarily. Equally, I don't want to give up on him prematurely. I don't have much money, but I would sell a kidney to keep him alive if he had a fighting chance of coming out the other end and having a life which resembled the one he had only a month ago, even if it is only for a few more months. To compound matters, I had Rachel take him to the same vet twice in the previous eighteen months, because I wanted to have blood tests done to be able to manage his deterioration into old age, and get early warning of any conditions which might be occuring. On each occassion that he was examined by the vet, Arthritis was never mentioned, let alone any products/medications to manage the pain and degeneration of an arthritic rabbit, despite his increasing lack of mobility. It was just put down to "old age". This from a vet that sells Arthri-aid in their practice! This only serves to undermine the confidence I have in their judgement.

I am at a loss on what to do, or which signs to look out for in order to make a definitive decision. I would welcome any advice from my fellow rabbit lovers.

With thanks
Angelo

Hello there

that must be very sad news for you. I would want to see your bun again as it sounds as if you havent seen him today since you got the call, correct. Just to get a feeling of his condition now. But if you are not happy with the vet, could you get a 2nd opinion, take him to another vet? Maybe someone on here can recommend a really good vet.
hope this helps.

Back