• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

re bonding rabbits again

Zara.

New Kit
Hi, i'm new to this forum and looking for some advice :)

My male rabbit; George recently stayed over night at the Vet because of some difficulties occurring with his gut. So my other rabbit, katie was alone for a day. they both get on extremely well and never fight.
however when we brought George back home from the vet today, she acted very strange and cautious. Soon later they were both biting each other and chasing one another, as they were when we first introduced them last December.

i'm completely confused as to why there behaviour towards one another as uterlly changed over the course of George not being here for a day. is there any reason to why this is happening

- Both Rabbits are neutered

Hi, i'm new to this forum and looking for some advice :)

My male rabbit; George recently stayed over night at the Vet because of some difficulties occurring with his gut. So my other rabbit, katie was alone for a day. they both get on extremely well and never fight.
however when we brought George back home from the vet today, she acted very strange and cautious. Soon later they were both biting each other and chasing one another, as they were when we first introduced them last December.

i'm completely confused as to why there behaviour towards one another as uterlly changed over the course of George not being here for a day. is there any reason to why this is happening

- Both Rabbits are neutered

Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Firstly you should have taken both rabbits into the vets together, because they were bonded and small things can trigger bonds to break easily and really fast.
As you didn't know to do this, your vet practice should have really informed you to bring both. Are you vets 'rabbit savvy' ?

The bond has weakened and resulted in scuffles because the bunny that went to the vets smells different and your other bunny who was at home doesn't recognise his scent any more and therefore think of him like another new rabbit.

To resolve this I would immediately place them in a small sectioned area of neutral space. Neutral territory/space because neither rabbits can fight for territory that isn't there's. Treat the bond like brand new. Also keep them in a small space so like 2x2ft for both of them in the neutral space. Increase after 3 days if no more fighting occurs.

Ignoring is good behaviour
Chasing is okay, but too much could lead to fighting
Humping is good because the humper is asserting dominance

You might want to wrap the rabbit who went to the vets with a blanket he/she's been on so he/she smells like before.

If you haven't got the time to supervise right now.. I would keep them in small areas but separated, so set up 2 small pens next to each other.
So they can see each other but not fight each other. Hopefully they'll re bond quickly without complications.

Back