• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to sex bucks?

sexing females are harder lol my female has turned out as male which often happens. To sex a male you need to find the genital area just beofre the tail, if you gently press down either side of the genital opening you should see the tip of the penis come out, but there is a big but when sexing females the vulva often protrudes to look like a penis lol, the female has more of a slit to her opening and the male opening is more round. However with my wrongly sexed male because his penis was so small he was sexed as a female. To find the testicles they should be either side of the genital area but in a very young male they may have not dropped yet which is how the wrong sexing is mistaken, males can also draw their testicles up into the body when you poke around to protect them, now that my male has his full testicles it is more obvious. If you are having trouble sexing your bunny then he/she may be too young at the moment and you may have to wait a little bit longer.

blow into the fur around that region of the rabbits underside, bunny balls will be quite obvious if he has them and you do this, if not then you gently press on the rabbits bits, a females will come out sightly but look like a little slit, a males should come out a bit more and look a bit more willy-like (they're tiny though :oops: :lol: )

How old are they? At 6 weeks we couldn't be sure what ours were but by 8 weeks it was quite obvious :lol:

I find bucks a lot easier than does, if he's too young to be showing off his plums ( :lol: ) then look at the fleshy bit where wee wee comes out, it's quite easy to tell the difference. If you (very gently) place your index and middle fingers either side and very very gently push down you will see where it's a willy or a tuppy...

I won't post the actual image but here's a link to the pics:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pWy-KxXrrs0/TGJVCT67qbI/AAAAAAAAAAk/gB_cpBdgf8g/s1600/rabbit_sexing.jpg

blow into the fur around that region of the rabbits underside, bunny balls will be quite obvious if he has them and you do this, if not then you gently press on the rabbits bits, a females will come out sightly but look like a little slit, a males should come out a bit more and look a bit more willy-like (they're tiny though :oops: :lol: )

Not when they get excited and try to hump you they aren't :shock: my poor arm... ewwww. :lol:

Not when they get excited and try to hump you they aren't :shock: my poor arm... ewwww. :lol:

They're terrifying aren't they :shock:

If the bunny plums have dropped they will be fairly obvious. They're relatively big almost kidney shaped testes which sit either side of the anus/ penis area. If the plums haven't dropped you won't find them without palpating the area and knowing what you're feeling for so the best bet is to look at the genitals. Boy bunnies have a round hole, girl bunnies have a slit though it can be difficult to tell the difference if you haven't sexed many bunnies before.
Best bet if you're unsure is to take the bunny/ies to a vet to be sexed and ask the vet to show you the difference. x

So sorry Cari but that just made me choke on my coffee with laughter!!! :lol: Oh the images in my head now :shock::shock::lol:

See I don't understand that, my neighbours rabbit when it tried to hump something had like a ridiculously long but really thing willy, yet all the males I've had and looked after have just had tiny little curved things :oops: :lol: I hope rabbits aren't size conscious :lol:

Back