• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hypothetical Q about use of gut stimulants and pain relief at first instinct

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
Jason gave me extra cisapride and metacam to use when I think Buckley is going to go into stasis. How early is it appropriate to use a gut stimulant/ pain killer?

The last time Buckley was diagnosed with stasis it was before his appetite had changed, it was just that I had almost an instinct that something was wrong when I made the appointment and later that day (after I made the appt) he'd done some odd poo. It wasn't that his demeanour had changed significantly, it was just that I looked at him and felt like something wasn't right.

In future should I go on instinct even if he seems fine within himself?

Next on my list of things to ask Jason: "please could you show me how to palpate a rabbit's abdomen so I know what I'm feeling for?"

Jason gave me extra cisapride to use when I think Buckley is going to go into stasis. How early is it appropriate to use a gut stimulant?

The last time Buckley was diagnosed with stasis it was before his appetite had changed, it was just that I had almost an instinct that something was wrong when I made the appointment and later that day (after I made the appt) he'd done some odd poo. It wasn't that his demeanour had changed significantly, it was just that I looked at him and felt like something wasn't right.

In future should I go on instinct even if he seems fine within himself?

Next on my list of things to ask Jason: "please could you show me how to palpate a rabbit's abdomen so I know what I'm feeling for?"

That !!

I would not want to be administering meds without a real clinical reason to do so :)

I used to do this with my two bunnies. It allowed me to act really fast when they were going into or had just started stasis. If I'd had to go to the vet, emergency or otherwise, every time they went into stasis, I might as well have moved in (and handed over my credit card!)

Generally speaking if none of mine show any interest in their pellets at dinner time, nor fresh hay or any of their favourites then we give the pain meds and gut stimulant. We also offer a bowl of water and syringe water in to ensure the gut is kept hydated. On a few occassions we have syringe fed, but this only happens after we have had a feel of their tummys as if there is an obstruction it can be dangerous.

As we get to "know" our rabbits you can often tell just by looking at them that something isn't "quite right", so your gut instinct is very important, along with a keen eye.

Three of mine are prone to bouts of stasis, and I've never managed to find out what sparks off a bout, but I can spot the change in them within a few hours of it striking, luckily because I spend so much time with them.

I always start off by getting them out in the garden to run around a bit, and start them off with some Infacol and a very gentle tummy massage. If theres no improvement within an hour I dose the Infacol and some pain relief, and if no joy within a few hours I want to start the gut stimulant.

Occasionally they are so uncomfortable that I jump stright to the stimulant and pain relief as I know from all the previous bouts that exercise and Infacol aren't going to be enough.

Your rabbits history etc will teach you how each bout needs to be dealt with, but you do need to be sure before you give meds unnecessarily.

Back