• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter training?

Baildon bears

Warren Scout
I am a bit new to this Rabbit lark and am on a fast learning curve, Sootie and Molly are 11 weeks old and I want to get them litter trained, at the moment they seem to be weeing and pooing in thier sleeping space which is not ideal, and also pooing everywhere else, I am having to clean them out quite often, could any one give me any tips and advice, being a Childminder I have potty trained lots of children but not Rabbits ;) also this may be a silly question but the round poos they do, do they eat them, just wondered if I may be cleaning them out to often :/. Thanks in advance, expect lots more questions coming lol.

I always found putting hay in the litter tray encouraged them to use it. Also, litter training becomes much easier after neutering :)

From one Childminder to another :wave:

Rabbits usually have a space where they prefer to toilet, some people suggest to put the potty where they seem to be going the most. But if you then move this, it confuses the bunnies and they will just continue to go in the same spot

if you stick the potty where YOU want it, and stick to this place you should have no problems!

Does tend to be easier than bucks to potty train :thumb:

rabbits will toilet where its convenient so, if you put treats in/near the potty it will encourage the bunnies to sit in it, and then you're half way there

keep the hutches as clean as you can, and put freshly soiled bedding and droppings in the potty and they will eventually get the idea. if you cut down the amount of bedding you have in the sleeping area they will be more inclined to toilet where they can sit and eat, you could try putting some treats in/near the potty to encourage them to do their business where they eat,

sounds a little dirty but it works!

rabbits have a pretty complicated digestive system, - but basically, they eat soft droppings called caecotrophs, which look like a bunch of tiny grapes. you probably wont ever see one, because they eat them straight away, which is a healthy sign!, any droppings which are left should be cleaned out :)

Good Luck!

All three of mine just litter trained themselves really. I use newspaper in the bottom of the tray and then cat wood pellet litter. I don't put hay in as they wee on their hay if I do.

Neuter! That's the answer. Otherwise they will still go everywhere to mark their territory. About 2 months after they've been neutered you should be able to littertrain them - to some extent anyway! Make sure they have hay in their trays, or in a rack above them. Reward them with a treat (fenugreek crunchies are a favourite!) when they do use them, and try and clean up any accidents as soon as poss so they don't go in the same spot. Don't be afraid to gently herd them into their trays when you catch them squatting for a wee too. They should get the idea!

Back