• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is rabbit that active?

My rabbits can have out burst of energy but he has all the space in the world, and has toys but isn't playing with them? (to be fair they are new and only given today) Are most rabbits staying in one spot or is mine sick?

Depends on what time you observe this behaviour.

Rabbits are crepuscular, meaning they are most active and dusk and dawn. If you notice this during the day, its likely they are simply in their resting phase.

what Graham said plus I've noticed that when I've had a single rabbit for one reason or another they are much less active than pairs or groups as they don't have anyone to play/interact with.

I agree with both of the above posts. Single rabbits can sometimes get bored and so just sit there, or it can go the opposite way and they can have sterotypical or destructive behaviour, either way a friend really helps a rabbit keep occupied.

It is also worth thinking about how much space he actually has, does he have the recommended 44sqft or over? Does he have this space at the times he would naturally be most active?

I also find that rabbits dont play with actual toys that much, and instead prefer environment enrichment like tunnels, different levels, hidey boxes, digging boxes etc. They also love things to destroy, especially when food is involved.

If you think he's being rather inactive, especially at times he should be active (dawn-early morning, dusk and late evening and the early hours of the morning I find mine are most active at) then you could encourage activity by getting him to forage more for his food, by hiding bits in hay and scatter feeding, and using a treat ball so he has to work for food.

If however your rabbit is sitting hunched and uncomfortable-looking, not wanting to move, and perhaps even grinding teeth - then this would mean he is in intense pain. It's likely not this though.

My rabbits are older now so a lot less active than they used to be, they are 8 and 9 years old. They do have mad moments and run about and play but usually they just like to snooze in their snuggle beds.

Mine don't really play with toys, I think they are just too intelligent for toys unless it involves food. Tunnels and levels seem to be more preferable, least with my four!

Give them plenty of space ie, 50sq ft ish) at dawn and dusk and eventually they will start using it. If mine go out in the middle of the day they just search out some shade and sleep but later in the evening when it's cooler they run around and do binkies.

Back