• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Safety Flooring - how to fit it?!

Rupert & Tia

Mama Doe
Our rabbits live in a shed, and we have lino down, but tbh, it was put down in a hurry (because we weren't planning on getting them so soon, but I fell in love with Rupert and reserved him - then had to rush to finish their shed), and they've started peeing everywhere and its soaked under the lino, and is minging.......

So...................

I've got them some proper safety flooring, that we're going to fold up the back and sides, so even if they do have accidents (im hoping theyve just got so used to the smell there that they're peeing there) - it won't get under and onto the wooden floor.... in theory, in my head this is going to solve all our problems :roll::lol:

My question is....

Whats the best way of fitting it??!?

Kirsty, I really wouldn't put it up the back and sides, it's much too thick and strong it would be a nightmare. I measured mine very carefully, cut it to size, stuck it down with carpet tape (like double sided tape but stronger) and then sealed the edges with sealant. I got the sealant tip off a bunny friend of mine that runs a rescue and she uses it on all her rescue setups to stop wee soaking down the edge.

I am worried about it being too thick to go up the sides, but we simply can't afford to buy more, they've weed so much that we're having to put a new floor down in the shed (it was a while before we realised it was soaking under), what type of sealant did you use? I'm worried that they'll chew the sealant (altho I don't know why because they don't really chew anything). We're hoping for a dryweekend so we can do it, because I'm going to need to clean the entire floor and walls of the shed with white wine vinegar...

Saying all that, yesterday morning, we moved everything from the floor of the shed, they normally have a green tunnel, and a platform, as well as their food and water bowls..... now they just have their litter trays, food and water bowls.... and so far, so good, no pee on the floor! Here's hoping it stays that way! x

Just clear indoor sealant like the stuff you get for bathrooms. I was too worried about them chewing it til I saw my friends rescue setup and realised that they can't get to the sealant as its pushed down and smoothed out, plus she has hundreds of bunnies coming through her rescue so I bowed to higher wisdom lol!!!:lol:

oooh coolio, i'll get some tomoro, can't wait to have it done! hopefully they'll keep the floor dry today as well.... if we dont fold up sides we'll have enough for their shelves :D

I am going to use silicone sealant too for my hutches, had to do this in my kitchen when my dogs kept peeing inside :oops: it's really easy just run over it with ur finger and u get a really neat seal that the bunnies wouldn't get their teeth into :thumb:

Back