• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twinkle Holding Her Tail Strangely...What Could It Mean Pls?

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Last night when Twinkle and Star were having their free-range time I noticed that Twinkle's tail was hanging downwards some of the time (not all the time). This is very strange because they always have their tails tucked upwards.

I don't think it is broken, mainly because she can move it to its normal upwards position, and also because she is not exhibiting any signs of pain - she was happily free roaming and running about and eating grass and anything else in sight.

The only other strange thing she did was to have a wee near Kenco & Buttercup's run last night. This is very unusual for her, Twinkle and Star NEVER wee anywhere outside of their shed/toilet areas. My parents-in-law popped over for a cuppa so were in the garden while they were out running, so whether that just made her want to mark her territory I dont know.

Anyway I am confused and not sure if the tail thing plus one random wee is any kind of sign of cystitus/UTI/other? The wee was cloudy but not thick in any way.

Hopefully the tail thing is a one off. Whenever my OH or I have been out to her today her tail has been up. Maybe she had a cold bot or something? :lol:

I've picked her up to check her undercarriage, no problems around her genitals/bot, had a gentle feel of her tail too and it *seems* ok to my untrained mind. Twinkle was not at all happy about being picked up and checked out, she got very stressed out and wriggled, I hope I haven't triggered stasis now :( Poor Twinkle, they so hate being picked up. Given her a Carroty and some mint so she is eating, will keep an eye on her.

I think sometimes rabbits just hold their tail differently but I'm like you, I always notice different stuff about my rabbits. One of my rabbits, Inky wiggles his tail all over the shop but Smokey's hardly moves. I would just keep an eye on them.

Yeah maybe it was just a random thing she was doing yesterday, they always have their tails up. I will definitely keep an eye on it though and if I still think there is something odd I will take her for a routine checkover at the vets. I think we are due to take Starbuck up soon for one of his vaccinations anyway.

They do move their tails as a sign of what they are feeling. My two both hold their tails downwards when they are unsure of something and are exploring, like when they stretch towards something to sniff. Just as a shivering, stiff tail is a sign of aggression. I wouldn't worry too much if she seems perfectly fine in her self. :)

They do move their tails as a sign of what they are feeling. My two both hold their tails downwards when they are unsure of something and are exploring, like when they stretch towards something to sniff. Just as a shivering, stiff tail is a sign of aggression. I wouldn't worry too much if she seems perfectly fine in her self. :)

Cool thank you, I've just never seen her do it before.

Back